We just got back from a very cold 5 day camping trip. So cold, in fact, that I found it VERY hard to even step away from the campfire! I was supposed to do a 3 mile run on Thursday and 11 miles on Saturday. 3 happened. 11 did not.
Thursday was the only day that was somewhat sunny and when I headed out around 3:00, I was instantly sucked into the run. It was gorgeous and I found myself tripping a couple of times because I truly was not paying attention to the ground in front of me. Mountains. Trees. Tall grasses. Hawks flying. Waves crashing. Beautiful.
At the start of mile 3 I came upon some trails and winded on through. Leaping over logs. Ducking under branches. Feeling a bit like an animal, I decided trail running might just be fun! Out of the woods and back to the campsite.
It was a wonderful run that reminded me why I love to run. I was looking forward to Saturday. Then, Saturday came and as I sat by the campfire wearing jeans with sweatpants over them, a long sleeve shirt, a short sleeve shirt, TWO fleece sweatshirts and my Dad's fantastic hunting/fishing windbreaker, I just could not get myself to go get into my running gear. I was tired. Crabby. And cold.
We headed home yesterday and on a stop to the cheese factory I found myself irritable and envious of those that walked by in their running gear. Ticked at myself for not getting my rear out there to enjoy the beauty. Ticked that I didn't just suck it up and go.
I was going to get up early this morning and run the 11. Then, I figured out that I'd have to get up 4:30. I chose to switch my weeks and use last week as a taper week and repeat last week this week. I chose to go to Jazzercise this morning and get a good sweat in. I chose to get over my irritation. Suck it up. And move on. Looking forward to hanging out with Mr. 11 miles on Saturday.
And as I sat cleaning out my email today, I couldn't help but love all the Runner's World quotes of the day...
"No one ever drowned in sweat." Author unknown
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer." Percy Cerutty
"You have a choice. You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face." Gatorade
"What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place. You pray and think of the children and what you're doing, and you get through it. The time passes clearly. The first mile is the hardest." Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd
"The first thing is to love your sport. Never do it to please someone else. It has to be yours." Peggy Fleming
Thanks for the little kicks in the rear, Runner's World!
Monday, July 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What A Difference The Hills Make
Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them. I seek them o...
-
I was recently contacted by CSN stores to host a giveaway on my blog. What fun! CSN has over 200 stores with some super fun stuff... you ca...
-
It's one of those days. One in which I fought with my daughter over her desire to not get out of her warm jammies so that she could get ...
-
I woke up at 6:45 Saturday morning and glanced at the clock. Excitement filled my body. Knowing, the very next day, I would be toeing the ...
1 comment:
love those quotes and love your attitude with the swtich in weeks! AWesome!
Post a Comment