Today, I ran 22 miles.
Right now, to say I'm sore doesn't even cover it.
My buns, quads and calves are "zinging", as I like to say. I can feel my muscles screaming at me.
I am tired.
Today, I ran 18 miles strong. Then, it became all about mental strength.
My goals were simple...
Don't go out too fast.
Don't push too hard at any time.
Work on your endurance.
Complete 22 miles.
I was tempted to stop at 21.
I was really tempted to stop at 21.5 when I had to run past the street my car was parked on. Who likes to run past their car with 1/2 mile to go?
I've been working on my strategy. To not go out too strong. To get progressively faster. This is my goal for race day.
Today's times...
9:25, 9:23, 9:16, 9:15, 9:07, 9:05 - Right on target. Heading to the 8:50's...
8:51, 8:50, 8:49, 8:54, 8:58, 8:53,
8:57, 8:58, 8:55, 8:58, 9:02, 8:57 - Fading...
9:26, 9:07, 9:39, 9:17 - 4 more. That's all. 4 more. Fighting. Sideways rain. 22. How bad do you want it?
My mind started telling me that I couldn't do it. That a sub 4 was out of the question. That I was slow. And then, I started to remind my feeble mind...
On race day, I will have tapered for 3 weeks.
On race day, I
will not have run 8 of my fastest miles just 2 days before. 5 of those miles at a sub 8:00 pace.
On race
day, I will not have spent the entire day before scrubbing and cleaning my house.
On race day, I will be rested.
On race day, I will have completed ALL of my training.
On race day, I will be ready.
My body aches.
I don't want to move.
And yet, I'm smiling.
22 miles done.
Done.
God sure is good!
Friday, February 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What A Difference The Hills Make
Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them. I seek them o...
-
I was recently contacted by CSN stores to host a giveaway on my blog. What fun! CSN has over 200 stores with some super fun stuff... you ca...
-
It's one of those days. One in which I fought with my daughter over her desire to not get out of her warm jammies so that she could get ...
-
I woke up at 6:45 Saturday morning and glanced at the clock. Excitement filled my body. Knowing, the very next day, I would be toeing the ...
7 comments:
I am in awe!!! That's amazing. You're going to be SO READY.
On race day you'll be tapered, pampered, and ready. You'll have spent the day before the race reading your favorite blogs, celebrating yourself, praying and listening. If you can do 22 miles on a random Friday, that marathon has NO CHANCE.
I can't wait to watch you do it!
Great run and I love your positive attitude about your training. You totally have this!
You are amazing! I'm very inspired by this. Like others have said... you have got this!!!!
Wow!! Awesome job!! God is Good!! :)
you are amazing!! Go girl!!!
Post a Comment