Monday, February 20, 2012

The Sweet Spot

After Friday's post, I decided that easy 9 miler I talked about was not going to happen.

I decided that rest was probably more important.

My parents were in town this weekend to celebrate Ella and I knew I wouldn't want to miss time with them.

However, Saturday morning, they were going to go visit with a friend.

And I needed to take Ella to a birthday.

A birthday, that just happened to be down the street from a great running path.

It beckoned.

I kissed my family, gathered Ella and off we went.

My mission for this run was to run EASY.

100%, no doubt about it, easy.

I smiled the entire run.

I talked to God.

I sang.

I stopped at the top of a bridge, took deep breaths and marveled at the world around me.

If I felt myself picking up the pace, I slowed myself down.

It was perfection and just what this tired running mama needed.

I got home and was greeted by Cory and my Mom standing in the kitchen.  All I could do was glow and grin about my run.  As I was thanking Cory for that time, he told me to turn around...
My parents surprised me with an early birthday present and all I could think was, "Holy crap!"  A 6 quart mixing bowl for my baking pleasure!  Holy crap!  Something I wanted and never in a million years thought I would actually own.  Wow!!

That is a good day!!

Yesterday was spent in our pj's.  I made waffles in the morning, rolls and cookies (a double batch!) in the afternoon, and enjoyed my family all day long.

It was just what I needed.

Today, back to the schedule.

8 miles, 5@7:54

Doubt.

Then, as I drove to my starting point, I gave myself a little pep talk...

I am rested.

I am hydrated.

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

I've got this.

Warm-up 1.5 miles
Mile 1: 7:53
Mile 2: 7:46
Mile 3: 7:43
Mile 4: 7:48
Mile 5: 7:45
Cool down: 1.5 miles

I nailed it.

I found my mojo.

As I ran, I sang worship songs, I pushed hard in the rain, I found the sweet spot...  That spot for me of working hard and still being able to smile.  That spot, that line, in which to go in one direction would be too much and in the other direction, too little.

And now, as my "stylist" aka, Ella, does my hair, I have a lump in my throat and I can only praise the Lord for my amazing blessings!

  

4 comments:

Tasha Malcolm said...

I <3 this post! Reading about your workout puts a smile to my face. You did more than nail that 5 mile tempo, you KILLED it!

I got that same mixer for our wedding 2 years ago. I <3 it! Gets me in trouble sometimes since I Happy baking! :D

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

Amazing!!

Devon @ CrossTraining said...

:) :) I love this

Unknown said...

I love you! Thanks for sharing, it is just what I needed to hear as I work through my own trials in my journey to tri!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...