Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Laughter and Smoothies

There are some moments you just don't want to forget.  Moments that make you completely laugh when you think about them.  Moments that help you learn a little...

I rarely have to pee when I'm running.  I pee multiple times before leaving the house to be sure to get every single little drop out of me.  I can recall 3 times that I have had to pee during a run.  Yes, 3.  Yes, I have been running for over 2 1/2 years.  Three.

One time was during a 20 mile run when I refused to stop in at any business establishment because I wasn't currently buying anything from them.  This had me looking at every possible bush that I ran by wondering if it could shield me from the cars.  This had me playing out various scenarios of how it would go to pee my pants...  I was driving hubs truck and he has cloth seats.  I just didn't think he'd appreciate that :)  And what it the world would I do about my shoes??  Who wants pee in their shoes?

Another time was just during a 5 miler.  I could hold it.

One was during my last 18 miler and I couldn't hold it.  Thankfully, Mandi's house was close and she let me use her potty.

Well, on the 4th of July there was a theme.  It was my 4th marathon.  It was the 4th of July.  It was the 4th time I had to pee during a run.  Thankfully, the theme was not 2's :)

What boggles my mind is that I peed THREE times before the race started and yet around mile 14, the pressure became unbearable and I did something I have never done.  I used the porta potty during a race.  It took a little shimmying to get my skirt off and little did I know, it was not going to be such an easy task to get that baby back up.

I finished my business and tried to pull my skirt up.  It wouldn't budge.  I was so sweaty.  My skirt was so sweaty.  I was in a cramped porta potty.  I had no idea what to do. 

It's funny how your brain turns to mush at times like this.

I stood there, unable to get my skirt over my rear, weighing my options...

1.  Open the door a crack and have Katie come help me.

2.  Walk out of the porta potty and ask for both Katie and Jen to help...

I'm not even kidding when I say I strongly considered both options.

Imagine that, a girl walking out of the porta potty with her rear hanging out.  Not one of my finer moments :)

Finally, I gave it one last try, inched my shorts up and shimmied my way back into my skirt.

As Marnee pointed out, if only I hadn't taken 5 minutes in the bathroom my time would have been under 5 hours :)  Dang it!! 

Lesson learned?  Learn how to pee yourself.  Kidding.  Kind of...

On Sunday, I went to grab my favorite, light weight running socks for my run with Marnee and I couldn't find them.

On Monday, I went to find them again...

Same story on Tuesday.

I was finally beginning to think that they had been lost at the marathon.  I had removed my socks and shoes to put my feet in ice water and was thinking that they hadn't made it back to the car.  Dang it!

However, when I hopped in my car to go to the store this morning I knew right where they were.  They HAD to be hiding in the car.  How would I know that?  My car smelled like stinky socks!  Lovely.  At least I found my socks :)

Lesson learned??  Don't leave stinky socks in the car.

And now to the smoothies...  I've been on a bit of a smoothie kick.  I spent 8 months training my body for marathons and now, I get to train my stomach that I'm no longer training for marathons.  It's been going well and I have to say that smoothies seem to be the answer for me.  I can throw loads of spinach in a cup with yogurt, milk, pb, banana and honey and be satisfied for hours.  Love that it's green (just makes me feel all the more healthy), love that it actually is healthy and love how I'm feeling. 

I tried going on Pinterest this morning to look for more recipes, but, quite frankly, I get way too overwhelmed.  Imagine my delight when Amanda from Runninghood, posted a little something about smoothie suggestions this morning.  Hoping to get some more recipes in the arsenal.

So, here's a couple questions for you...

What's your favorite healthy smoothie recipe?

What's your favorite running funny??


2 comments:

Lee Ann said...

Oh my goodness you crack me up! Remind me to never need to pee when wearing my skirt!

As for the smoothie: spinach, milk or yogurt, peanut butter, frozen banana, cocoa powder and some ground coffee beans. That's my fave and now I think I'll go make me a little one :)

Devon @ CrossTraining said...

I forgot to tell you this. At the FTF marathon, there was a lady who would find a bush, stoop down and pretend to tie her shoe but I knew she was totally peeing! BRILLIANT! I saw her do it at least twice, and she finished before me. Seems effective! :)

And, I thought right at the start of that race that the urge to go was only because of nerves. But, it never went away the whole race. I jumped into Aaron's arms at the finish and it came a'flowin!! :) Thankfully not much :)

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...