Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Day In The Life - Saturday Edition

Skinny Runner did a little day in the life post yesterday and I thought it was kind of fun. So, here's my Saturday edition.

6:45 - Roll over, look at the clock, think about getting up and getting an early start on my 16 miler. Roll back over, pretend I never even opened my eyes, go back to sleep.

7:48 - Hear the pitter patter of little feet running towards my room. Hear a sweet boy whisper in my ear, "Mom, I have to poop!" Tell sweet boy to hurry and go. Roll out of bed. Wipe said boys bottom. Head to the kitchen to turn the coffee pot on.

Pour cereal for 3. Slice banana bread for 3. Make cream of rice. Sit, drink coffee and eat my delicious breakfast.

Kiss sweet hubs when he wakes up. Head back to the room. Start putting on the many layers needed for today's run.

9:37 - Hands shaking. Geared up. Hubs practically has to push me out the door.

Mile 1 - 9:19 - Feeling anxious. Feeling off.

Mile 2 - 9:32 - Seriously think to myself, only 14 more. Uh oh. Change the attitude or this is going to be long and hard!

Fast forward.

Mile 5 - 9:02 - First round of shot blocks. Water. Smile on my face. I'm already done with 5??

Mile 6 - 8:50 - Soaring. Smiling. Big runnerd on the side of the road. Hear a horn honk. 26.2 sticker on the back of the car. Wave like a big crazy lady.

Mile 7 -8:57 - Run TO my church. That was fun!! Seriously.

Mile 8 - 9:07 - Stroll into Walgreens like I own the place. Race walk back to the drinking fountain, fill up my water bottle. Drop a Nuun in. Off I go! Smiling!

Mile 9 - 9:07 - I NEVER want this to end. Consider running an ultra.

Mile 10 - 9:04 - Run past Albertsons. Laugh to myself as I think about how fun it would be to go in and rent a movie from Redbox... "yeah, I just ran to pick up a movie today." Sad to think there's only 6 more miles. Consider going farther. Second dose of shot blocks.

Mile 11 - 9:19 - More smiles as I run past a friend's old work. Could this be any more fun???

Mile 12 - 9:26 - Legs are getting tight. Take some good drinks. Start calculating mileage. Hoping I went far enough out. Still thinking I've got lots left in the tank.

Mile 13 - 9:23 - I CAN do this! Starting to dig. 3 more.

Mile 14 - 9:27 - You've got this. 2 more. Stop to turn Toby Mac on to bring me home. Turn on the ignition, Toby. Turn. It. On.

Mile 15 - 9:16 - Smiling as my legs ache. Almost there. A distance PR.

Mile 16 - 8:53 - Pushing. Pushing. Pushing. Man on the corner selling oranges. Think to myself that he must think I'm crazy as I sprint towards my finish line.

Stop.

16 miles. 2:27:26. Legs are aching like crazy and all I want to do is lay down. .5 mile walk up the hill to home.

Kiss the hubs. Text dear friends. "How long do I sit in an ice bath??"

15 year old son asks how far I ran. "16, can I be awesome now???" When I ran 14 he told me I should have done 16 because, THAT, would be awesome.

Coffee in hand. Phone and Runner's World too. Head to the bath. Wonder if my kids think Mom's losing it as she moans and groans getting into the cold bath. With her clothes on.

Bath done. Hot shower taken. Biggest baggiest sweats on. Lunch in the tummy. Smiling.

I CANNOT wait for my 18 next week!

11 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Way to rock that 16! Congrats!

Jill - Striving to Stay the Course said...

You are amazing, Friend! You INSPIRE me! Hope my 16 miler goes as great as yours! :)

Unknown said...

Awesome, just awesome. Nice job.

A Prelude To... said...

You ROCKED that sucker!! What an amazing day - CONGRATS!!!

kimert said...

You are amazing!!!!

Jennifer said...

Wow. you ARE amazing! way to go Mere!

H Love said...

Thanks for sharing your run!! Feels like I was with you! I too was wondering how long to stay in the ice bath?

SupermomE13 said...

You are awesome!!! Great job! I love the long runs too and extra love the feeling of accomplishment afterwards. :)

Julie D. said...

Way to go!! so proud of you.

Tracy said...

I am new reader and I so enjoyed this post. So funny the things the go through our minds when we run.
I, also, have a 15 y.o. who "encourages" me to work harder. He also is convinced that I stop at Dairy Queen and or Starbucks during my runs. Very funny and not such a bad idea. Thanks for the post!

Terri said...

Great job! And an ice bath - youch!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...