Thankfully, unlike the song, "Henry the 8th", the 2nd verse was not the same as the 1st.
This morning's 20 was so much better than last time. I made sure to eat (although I didn't want to)...
Note to race day self: Get up earlier. 6:05 wake up does not get me out the door by 6:40 to pick up friend and start running by 7:00. Need. More. Time.
Clip toenails.
Make coffee.
Make breakfast - cream of rice.
Dress in race day favorite option.
Don't forget the anti-chafing product of choice! Buttshield!
Pack ready.
Watch on.
Dang stomach!! Head to the bathroom to try AGAIN!! Unsuccessful. Made me nervous.
Off I go.
I picked Wendy up and we headed off to our starting point.
This one felt so different from the start. I felt good. I felt optimistic. I felt realistic. We went along, the miles passing by. At just over 6 I realized that I hadn't taken my shot blocks yet! Crap! I was so excited that we had not had to stop at any lights yet and I just wanted to keep moving!
We were trying to figure out just exactly how we would make up about 1/2 mile that we would be short. Finally, we just decided to do an out and back - so glad we did!
The route is great. Pretty hilly, but great. There were only a couple hills that made my belly flip flop, but we killed 'em and I know hills are so good for us!
Mile 16 and Wendy's not feeling so great. We stop so she can call her husband to meet us at mile 16.5.
Mile 17 - "Meredith!!!" I turn around to see Wendy coming towards me. She decided that with just over 3 to go, she was going to tough it out. I was so proud of her!
Mile 18 and I am seriously in awe of the fact that we haven't had to stop at ANY stop lights!!! NONE!! And that, truly, is amazing since we run through lots of them on this route.
Just before mile 19 I choose to walk up a little hill so I can push it on the last mile. Even with the little walk I was still feeling okay and was so glad to have not hit a wall. Amazing how much better I felt this run!
20 miles - 3:15. 9:45 average pace.
So much better!
I didn't cry this time. I didn't feel like I was in labor when I got to the car. I didn't feel anything like I did last time. I could smile. I could laugh. I could stretch. It was so good.
And in my rational, just got done with a good run mind, I told myself and Wendy, "Yeah. I know race day will really let me know, but, I think one marathon will be good for me."
The thing is, marathon training is hard. 20 mile training runs are still 20 miles. I still have 6.2 more to go. There is NOTHING easy about it. It isn't JUST 20. Or JUST 26.2. It's just not.
As we finished with a 9:45 pace, I know that we can take it a bit faster come race day, but, I don't know how much more I'll have. I was pushing it at the end today. Pushing. I felt like I was going all out. The average for the last mile?? 9:38.
20 miles is still 20 miles.
As I ran today, I realized something. When you're nearing the top of a hill, it's not the best time to decide if you are going to stop and walk. It's not. Because, your body is going to tell you to stop. But, when you get to the top, take some deep breaths, and you can do it. No need to stop. You've got it! I kept telling myself I could do it today. Encouraging myself. My body really did feel great - until the right quad starting knotting up in the last mile. Today, it was all in my head. All mental training.
As we finished up, I couldn't help but smile. I felt triumphant. I had conquered 20! I still can't believe there's 6.2 more!
But, as I said on dailymile, I'm choosing to trust the experts even though my mind cannot even begin to comprehend how my body will run 6.2 more when I've never even come close.
Crazy!
And, because I'm goofy like that, here's my serious face. Okay. I don't do serious. But, you couldn't see my crusted saltiness as well when I was smiling...
And, unless I find a top to top this, here's my race day outfit...
Happy Sunday! Hope you had a great weekend!
4 comments:
You are so right in saying 20 mile is still 20miles and there is nothing easy about it. I envy those runners who can do 20+ mile runs every week!
You look AMAZING! So inspired by you!
Why can't they all be like this?? :D
I guess we wouldn't appreciate the good runs if they all went so well, right?
You are going to do amazing and you are going to have such a great time come race day! I can't wait to hear all about it.
So proud of you!! Love your race day outfit!!
Post a Comment