It's true.
I am.
Completely crazy.
I think that's how I ended up choosing to birth 3 children - 1 without an epidural.
I think that's why I cried as we left the hospital after the birth of our firstborn. Crying because it was over. Telling my husband I couldn't wait to do it again.
I think that's why I thought the birth of my 2nd was the coolest thing ever - his birth was so quick that I didn't get an epidural until I was 8 cm and by the time they were done giving it to me, he was crowning. So, basically, I had him with no epidural. And, crazy enough, I thought it was the coolest thing ever to be able to feel my body doing exactly what it was supposed to do.
And although I would have told you that there was no way I could handle having any more kids after my sweet, higher maintenance, second born, a surprise pregnancy #3 had me headed into induction wanting NO drugs. I wanted the same experience as with #2. Unfortunately, I had a nurse that kept asking, "are you sure you don't want an epidural???" Made me feel like it must be bad and I gave in. Bummer :( Maybe that's like asking someone at mile 24 if they'd like a ride to the finish line?
So, when I was pregnant with #4, I knew it would be my last pregnancy. I knew I would never get to be in labor again. I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that I did NOT want an epidural. I made sure to let the nurse know and not once did she ever ask if I wanted one after that.
Even though the pain is unlike anything I have ever experienced, I chose to go drug free. I looked forward to each and every labor.
I told you.
I'm crazy.
I think that's why I'm looking forward to tomorrow. It's my last 20 mile run before the marathon. We are going to run on the race course and I feel like I'm a giddy school girl today.
Crazy.
What makes me feel extra crazy is the fact that my mind will not stop. After Sunday's 20, I was sure I wouldn't want to put myself through such torture again. That I was a "one and done" type of marathoner.
Then, came Monday. My muscles weren't sore. My body felt great. It was as if I had never even tortured my body on Sunday. Really? What's a few hours of pain if I'm going to feel great the next day?? And, I don't even have bloody nipples to contend with like after the birth of a child. Funny, it's the men running marathons that have to worry about that :)
Then, Wednesday came and I ran an awesome 6 miles. Then, an even better 6 miler yesterday. And now, here I sit, waiting, ready to go. Stinkin' excited.
I'm crazy.
I feel like I'm losing my mind.
The thing is, if I didn't run, I probably would lose my ever lovin' mind. I love my babes, but this week I've really been wondering how people with more than 5 do it?? I feel like I'm drowning in laundry, homework, laundry, baseball, dirty toilets, cooking dinners, laundry, egg eating chickens, laundry, a constipated dog that got spayed last Friday and is supposed to have "limited" exercise, a sick husband, grieving for the end of marriages, grieving for friends that have lost loved ones, praying for my brother and his family, oh and did I mention laundry???
Losin' it.
Then, as I was running yesterday I heard the song, "Thank You", by 33 Miles. With a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat, I smiled. I smiled and I thanked the Lord for all of it.
What if in the morning when I wake up
Even before I fill my coffee cup
I said thank you
thank you
What if i looked at the day and the hours ahead
and before I moved forward I bowed my head
I said thank you
oh, i said thank you
what if i looked at my life in a different way
took a little more time to stop and pray
i know it would change all the moments in between
so here i go
thank you for everything
thank you for loving me
it don't even matter what tomorrow brings
well i will sing my
thank you for sun and rain
for what you give and take away
for all your goodness i will always say
thank you
oh, i said thank you
what if i lost everything that i had
i could smile and somehow still be glad
and say thank you
thank you
cause life is joy life is pain
but the prayer of my heart will never change
i say thank you
oh, i say thank you
what if i looked at my life in a different way
took a little more time to stop and pray
i know it would change all the moments in between
so here i go
thank you for everything
thank for loving me
it don't even matter what tomorrow brings
well i will sing my
thank you for sun and rain
for what you give and take away
for all your goodness i will always say
thank you
well i will sing my
thank you for everything
thank you for loving me
it don't even matter what tomorrow brings
well i will sing my
thank you for sun and rain
for what you give and take away
for all your goodness i will always say (i will always)
for all your goodness i will always say-ay-ay-ay
thank you
So, with a deep breath. With a prayer. I thank the Lord for my crazy. I thank the Lord for running. I thank the Lord for loving me.
Then, I look forward to another 20 mile run :)
Friday, May 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What A Difference The Hills Make
Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them. I seek them o...
-
I was recently contacted by CSN stores to host a giveaway on my blog. What fun! CSN has over 200 stores with some super fun stuff... you ca...
-
It's one of those days. One in which I fought with my daughter over her desire to not get out of her warm jammies so that she could get ...
-
I woke up at 6:45 Saturday morning and glanced at the clock. Excitement filled my body. Knowing, the very next day, I would be toeing the ...
9 comments:
Great post! I don't think you are crazy at all! :) I will have to check out that song. I love to listen to Third Day and even Toby Mac along with a few others while I run.
Great great post.
I'm crazy. My friends, who are all now running, often hear me say "I like people who are the same brand of crazy."
Beautiful my dear, beautiful.
love love love it.
WOW Am I glad I came by to read this blog.. How do I love that song!!!!! Amazing!! I can relate to a lot.. I had my last 3 kids without an epi!!
Great post! Sounds like you are experiencing life...the joys, the sorrows, the thrills!! I am giddy for your 20 miles too! Let me know how it goes!
Love this as always with your posts. They always resonate with me on a very emotional and spiritual level. And now a person that feels the same about labor as me. I always say that the birth of my first born (also drug free) was the closest I've ever come to God. The most amazing, powerful lovely and wonderful experience EVER! painful yes but oh so rewarding and left me floating for a long long time. Wonderful song too! Enjoy those 20 miles tomorrow. I'm so far behind on here that I honestly don't even know what race you are training for ...forgive me. I'm off to catch up though. Again, lovely post! You write beautifully!
Thanks for this one!!
I just printed out that song and I'm taking it up to hang in the kitchen. LOVED IT!
I'm a big believer in the idea that women make better athletes because we're built to deal with pain (I got through 12 hours of labor before I begged for an epidural...).
Post a Comment