Sunday, June 19, 2011

No Regrets



Well, I did it.

I am a marathoner.

And, it was amazing!

I can't remember what the results sheet said. But, I know there were the numbers 4:21 and some change.

And, guess what?

I am beyond proud of my finish time.

Want to know something else?

I thought I would be disappointed with anything over 4:20.

I'm not disappointed at all.

With each of my births, I always had some regrets. Things that I wanted to do differently the next time. Things I would change. Things I would so wish were different.

With this marathon, I have no regrets. I would do nothing differently. I would change nothing. I am completely content with how it went down.

Never again will I get to run my 1st marathon.

I wanted to cherish every moment.

And, cherish I did!

The race started right on time and we were off. The first few miles flew by and I was sure to keep my speed in control. I was feeling fantastic and couldn't help but think about how awesome it was to be running with all these people that have trained hard and love running like I do.

Around mile 13 I started to get pretty nauseous. My body was getting tired and I'm not kidding when I say that I was looking for safe places to puke. I seriously thought that it would be a good time to quit.

I'm not kidding.

But, then, as I glanced at my watch I realized I would see my family soon. My sweet family. I picked up my step and surged on.

As I got closer and closer to my family, my heart swelled. I could not wait to see them. In my original plan, I was going all out. I wouldn't have time to stop and give kisses. But, my sweet B's voice rang in my head, "Can I please have a kiss when I see you??"

How do you say no to that?

You only get the 1st marathon once.

I would do it right.


I saw my family and instantly had tears in my eyes. I beelined and gave each and every one of them kisses. And, since I had 5 kids and a husband to kiss, I'm sure that added about 10 minutes to my time :)

I switched out my water bottles for filled ones and headed on my way.


Seeing my family was just what I needed and then, as I got to the bottom of the hill I saw Heidi. My sweet friend who spent much of the race with me (in my head). Every time I would raise my face to the Lord to savor the moment I thought of Heidi. Every time. Her words rang in my ears and I was sure to savor the moment.

At 16 miles I was shocked that there were only 10.2 to go. While I was getting fairly tired, I was still feeling like I could keep my shuffle going for 10 more miles, no problem. However, I also was still struggling with keeping my shot bloks down and decided I would start walking while I ate... every 2 miles.

At mile 18 I was again shocked to be there and still feeling so good. 18 already??

Mile 19 and there was a HUGE hill. THE biggest hill I have ever attempted to run. I say attempted because the only reason I actually ran up half of it was because there were photographers half way up. I almost cursed at them as I ran by, but instead, started walking as soon as I passed them.

This hill was a killer and I saw NO ONE running up it. Not one single person. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

At the top was mile 20 and from here I soared a bit. I got a 2nd, 3rd?, 4th? wind and felt amazing.

Until mile 23.

At this point, I told myself I would run to the next post. Then the next one. Finally, I stopped to walk.

"I was pacing off of you!"

"Dang it!! Fine, I'll keep running."

I'd heard someone behind me and had no idea he was pacing off me. Off we went.

At mile 24 I thought about G and Tonia. "I did not train for 4 months to not bring it the last 2 miles." But, at this point I was beyond thirsty and although I knew we were so close, all I wanted was some water. Lots and lots of water.

I rounded the corner and saw my cheering angels. I looked at them, pleading, hearing cheers of, "looking good!! You're almost there!! You've got this!!!"

And then, there was another hill. I was starting to wheeze and again, the thirst was unreal. I told the man I was running with that I needed to walk. We both slowed and then I heard, "Come on girlfriend!!" It was my sweet friend, Lisa. In jeans, a sweater and knee high flat boots. She tried to get me to start running and I just couldn't. We started back up at the top of the hill and I looked ahead for a water station.

I have never felt so thirsty in my life.

We ran a bit more and I needed to walk again.

I just needed water.

Then, just up ahead we saw Ashley and her dad. They had ran the 1/2 together and had come to run me in. Lisa asked if they had any water and Ashley offered to run up to the next station and fill my bottle. We ran and walked and finally got to the station as Ashley was heading back to us.

I downed the filled water bottle.

Then, filled it again.

And drank all of that.

And 2 cups of gatorade.

I was thirsty.

We got going again and I started feeling stronger.

And stronger.

And we got closer.

And I raced to the finish line.

Strong.

Thankful.

Proud.

I saw my family right away and got hugs from all. It was such an amazing moment. One I won't forget.

I sat in the tub when we got home. Praising the Lord for His blessings. Praising the Lord for the gift of running. Praising the Lord for getting me to the finish line. He is so good.

So very good.


And, just like my thoughts after each of my births, I can't wait to do it again!!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, wow, wow! Thought about you a lot today. So glad that your marathon was all you wanted it to be.

Aunt Kiki said...

Congrats my dear friend! You're amazing and have inspired me. I signed up for the Spokane to Sandpoint and have finally been loving my runs again. Love you! Kate Great job!

Julie D. said...

Mere, this is an amazing report. As your blog was loading and I knew it had a title I was hoping and praying it would have pictures! Thanks for delivering!! Loved every one. Felt like I was right there with you...however so very jealous of our friends who really did get to be right there with you!! What an amazing experience and you brought it for every second. So proud of you and all you have accomplished. Great job, my friend! Thanks for inspiring me to get after it again! In a word: refreshing. What a refreshing report on what this running thing is all about. Accomplishing our goals and to quote G, "savoring the run"...that you did, my friend. Tears of joy and pride for you. Congrats!

Becka said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a great finish for you! Thanks for sharing!

Jill - Striving to Stay the Course said...

I LOVE this recap! It was beautiful! I must agree....that hill...the first one. Ugh! Then that last one, too. Crazy timing! :)

Kind of weird we both were feeling sick off of our shot bloks today!!

But girl, you killed it and I couldn't be more proud! Thank you for waiting around to give me a finish line hug!!! Love you, Friend!!

H Love said...

Awesome so proud of you! Welcome to the club!! HUGS!!

Tortuga_Runner said...

Congratulations! Oh I am so excited you had such a great marathon, lasting memories indeed. Now rest, relish in your accomplishment and continue to hydrate:)

gba_gf said...

welcome to the club marathoner! I'm so freaking proud of you!!! what a stellar accomplishment!! What an awesome attitude ~ cherish ~ I like it.

drink up my friend, and savor the moment.

ok, I'm all weepy now.

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

awesome! congratulations on a great marathon!!

A Prelude To... said...

So very perfect!! I'm so so so happy to read this report today. You did so wonderful!!!! Congratulations on a job WELL DONE!!!!

Florence said...

Loved your story, I can relate to some of what you were feeling. This was Roger and my first 1/2 marathon, we did walk it. What a birth it does feel like. I too kept thanking God to keep me going. Having my family there with Jennifer and her family made all the difference in the world. Thanks for sharing your story! Hugs! Florence

Anonymous said...

Congrats on an awesome first marathon!!

Emma said...

You are amazing Meredith!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...