Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What's Next?

My good friend and running partner, Wendy, warned me ahead of time...

"Do NOT sign up for any marathons right after you finish Vancouver. Do NOT!"

I told her it would be no problem. After all, I didn't even know if I would WANT to run another marathon. Why would I sign up for one right away???

Now, I completely understand why she would say those words to me.

Just like the day after my wedding.

Just like the day after the birth of each of my kids (okay, lets face it, even just hours later).

Just like the day after Christmas.

I want to press rewind.

I want to do it all over again.

I want to do it now.

Crazy.

Absolute crazy talk.

Crazy to me because she knew. Why wouldn't she? She had done it herself. She did Rock 'n Roll Seattle in June, then Portland in October and Vancouver in June.

Crazy to me because while we're all so different, we're the same too. And this thing, the marathon, or really any other distance we love, gets into our brain, into our hearts, and we just want to do it again. And again.

Thankfully, I do have a plan. I know exactly what's up next. And after that. And after that.

Want to know??

Next up is the Eugene Women's 1/2. An awesome course. An amazing race. The best girls weekend you could hope for. I've already talked to my dear friends over at Runner's World (okay, okay, it's just smartcoach!) and I like the plan that I see. Hoping for a serious PR.

Then, in October, I'll get to run the race that started it all - The Girlfriend's 1/2 Marathon. A race that will always be near and dear to my heart. A race that many dear friends will be running and a race where I'll get to meet Miss Harmony!!!

And then??

On March 18th, 2012, I'll make a little journey from the Stadium to the Sea. That's right, the LA Marathon! So excited to share a special weekend with my mom and her dear friend and get to run a marathon too!

So many fun races to look forward to. So many miles to run. Knowing that I have a plan is helping to keep my excitement under control.

Now, to just control myself on my miles so I don't get hurt :) Made myself get out of the house and run errands this morning so I wouldn't put my running clothes on and go for a run instead. I know this body just ran 26.2. I know I'm supposed to give it some rest. But, man! I thought I loved running before and this marathon has only made me love it more!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

PRs at Eugene in Sept---great plan!

runninglawyer said...

I love that you finish a race and are like - "right on, what's next?" I tend to finish and think "what was I thinking doing that? Never again" and then sign up for more torture months down the road. I wish your enthusiasm was infectious!

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

wow! sounds like you had a great experience and now a great race plan!!

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SupermomE13 said...

Oh! i really want to do the LA Marathon one year (and it is my birthday week!) I LOVE having a "plan" and knowing what is next. Awesome. You have a great plan!!

I would really appreciate it if you could help me spread the word... I have a huge fundraising giveaway going on with over $650 worth of prizes.
http://seemomrunfar.blogspot.com/2011/06/totally-awesome-fundraising-giveaway.html
Thanks so much!!

Anonymous said...

Cannot wait to continue to follow your journey... sounds like you have some perfect goals! Ride that marathon high!!!

Nicole Orriƫns said...

It's a good thing you were forewarned about these feelings!

momshomerun.blogspot.com

H Love said...

sounds great! many miles and smiles for you ahead!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...