Wednesday, September 14, 2011

One Run. One Million Thoughts.

My run this morning was supposed to consist of 6 miles including 1 warm up mile and 1 cool down mile.  I was to run 3 miles at an 8:08 pace with 1/2 mile jogs in between each mile.  Or, in other words, 3x1600 in 8:08 w/800 jogs.

However, because I once read somewhere that when you do repeats you should be going all out on the exertion scale and because I like to follow the "rules" (even though, I suppose, I'm breaking the "rules" when I don't run at the prescribed pace) I go all out.

To be honest, the only thing that got me excited about this workout this morning was that I would get to jog for a whole half mile when I was done pushing it.  That I didn't have to run the pace for 3 miles straight.  Hooray for breathers :)

I chose to run a different route this morning.  A little more flat.  Only 2 good size hills.  Trying to set myself up for success.  Trying not to self sabotage.  During the warm up I felt like a horse wanting to be let out of the gate.  I continually pulled in the reins to slow myself down.  Slow down.  Slow down. 

8:58

During the first repeat I felt great until halfway through.  Then, it became mental training.  2 times around the track.  Just running home from the school.  1 more lap.  You can do this!  Push!  Breathe.  Push!  Push!

7:13

Thankful for that half mile jog.  Catching my breath.  Not wanting to do it anymore.  Can't I just stop now and run a nice easy 4 miles???

GO!

Pushing almost to a downhill.  Thankful for the steep downhill that's just up ahead.  One foot in front of the other.  Push!  Go!!  WHAT???  At the bottom of the hill are 2 guys working on the sidewalk.  WHAT????  New game plan.  Going to have to turn around ON the STEEP hill.  Screech!  Up.  Up.  Pushing as hard as I can.  Feeling like I'm crawling.  Oh.  My.  Word.  I should just stop.  This is pointless.  What am I doing??  Thanks a lot 2 guys working on the sidewalk!!!  Go!  Go!!!  Go!!!  Half way there!  You can do this!!!  How in the world does Julie keep this pace for SO long??  She is amazing!!  I can do this!  Almost there!  PUSH!!!  PUSH!!!!!!  GO!!!

7:44

Beyond thankful for the half mile jog.  Almost there.  I can do this.  Just one more...


GO!!

Pushing.  Pushing.  Look at my watch - 7:06.  Push.  You can do this!  Go!!  Don't let it slip!!  7:12.  NO!  Push!!  You've got this!  GO!!  7:20.  I must look really sexy right now :)  Why do I want to run faster??  Why am I doing this to myself??  Go!!  Go!!  Almost there!  You can do it!!  BEEP!!

7:30

Oh.  My.  Word!!

Cool down - 9:26

Wow.

I haven't done true repeats in what feels like forever and all I can say is, that I'm truly thankful that all I have on the plan for next week to work on my speed is a tempo run.  Who knew I would ever think of a tempo run as "easy".  Today, today was hard.  I pushed.  I pushed more.  And then, when I thought I couldn't do it, I pushed even more.

That was some serious mental and physical training!

And now, hours later, I'm still tired.  My legs are sore.  My body is showered.  My sweats are on.  And all I can think is, wow.  I'm so glad I did it and I'm so glad I'm done! 

4 comments:

Jill - Striving to Stay the Course said...

You INSPIRE me! What a kick-butt run you had. Amazing!!

Tortuga_Runner said...

I love your blog post names, I am always so interested to come and read and you never disappoint with your delivery. I wish I could be motivated the way you are. I am always happy I have done a tough workout like repeats, and I am always so glad that I am done. I am not always so glad to do it again and there is my dilemma.

Thanks for inspiring.

ashleys said...

You are awesome friend. You are a rule follower? I didn't know that about you - HAHA!! Nothing like a GOOD repeat workout - you rock. love ya

BrianFlash said...

Hey - I think you are supposed to do intervals at 95% effort. That's the only thing that gets me thru them...

Great workout!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...