Friday, August 3, 2012

Confessions of A Lazy Runner

I find it funny when I say I'm a lazy runner.  Lazy?  How does that work?  If I were to just look at the running side, I'm not exactly a couch potato.  However, I am lazy.

Yep.

Lazy.

My typical run day looks like this...

Run (at the end of my run tell myself I need to stretch)
Forget stretching
Log my miles into Dailymile
Shower
Decide I'll stretch at night... along with those crunches and push ups I want to do.
Night comes...
Snuggling with my hubs sounds so much better
I don't want to get on the floor
Go to bed

No stretching.

No core work.

No push ups.

Lazy.

I even went so far as to check out some books from the library...

And while I've browsed through them, nothing has happened.

Weird, I can't get stronger just by looking?

I've realized that part of the problem lies in the fact that my brain doesn't work like a lot of other people's brains.  I look through those books and it's as if I'm trying to read it in Spanish.  It's overwhelming and makes absolutely NO sense to me.  My sweet friend hates it when I say this, but it really is true...

KISS

Keep it simple stupid

Here's the thing.  I don't believe I'm stupid.  Just simple.

And looking through those books is not simple.

I think that's why I'm drawn to the Smart Coach plans.  They're as simple as it gets.

Simple.

So, when talking my my sweet Marnee the other day, I asked her if she would put some exercises together for me.  Her only concern?  "If I do this, will you actually do what I tell you to??"

Of course, sweet friend!

And, because she is who she is and is so not like me, she had something to me the next day.  I started this on Wednesday (using the Monday schedule) after running 3 miles and felt like Marnee was trying to kill me.

On Tuesday, I started with 2 miles, did the required burpees and jumping lunges.  Ran 1 mile, made it to 20 burpees then the lunges and finished with 2 more miles and actually finished out the required amounts of burpees and lunges.

I could barely get my rear to the store I was so sore!

How is it I can run a marathon and be so stinkin' out of shape??

Seriously, burpees are enough to make me want to vomit and cry all at once and yet, here I sit, knowing exactly where all my muscles in my abs are because I can currently feel every single one when I flex.  Or move.

And, on another note, my kids are wondering if there will be tootees involved?  I'm not kidding.  They think the word burpees is hilarious.

Looking forward to today since I only have to do 10 burpees at a time :)

Want to join me in getting stronger??

Monday


10 burpees

10 jumping lunges

30 jumping jacks

Jump rope 2-3 minutes

(Repeat 2 to 5 times)

Tuesday


Run 1-2 miles

30 burpees

30 jumping lunges

(Repeat 2 to 5 times)

Wednesday


10 burpees, Run 400 meters

2 minutes recovery

Run 400 meters, 10 burpees

2 minutes recovery

(Repeat 2 to 5 times)

Thursday


30 burpees

30 bicycle kicks

30 push-ups

30 jumping lunges

30 tuck jumps

30 tricep dips

30-50 crunches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzm3AnA57Og - bicycle kick example (you'll do them faster then what is in video though) :)

Friday


50 Squats

15 Burpees

50 Lunges (25/leg)

25 Sit ups

15 Push ups

25 Jumping jacks

1 Minute plank

(1-3 rounds)

Saturday


Rest

Sunday


Long run

I laughed at myself yesterday as I remembered that whenever I watch the Biggest Loser I think of how awesome it would be to have Jillian train me.  Um, who needs Jillian when they can have a Marnee?? :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I was totally with you until the disclaimer at the end of each day: repeat 2-5 times. WHAT???

H Love said...

I need big time help in this area...can I join you?

Devon @ CrossTraining said...

I made my husband be my accountability. He has been making up workouts for me and he throws in LOTS of core... I still don't stretch, I'm so bad! :) Way to go Marnee, you should be our trainer! :) I'm glad you have someone who is a great friend, and who makes up such kick-butt workouts! :)

Tasha Malcolm said...

I should send you some of cross training stuff. I was pretty skeptical when my coach made me a lifting plan because it didn't seem like much, but I am stronger now than I was 6 months ago. It is crazy!

Unknown said...

Oh Mere, you crack me up! I can't believe you put this up there...that is too funny! You are doing great. I'm so proud of you!! Week 2 HERE WE GO!!!!

Amy D, you can do this! (even with baby in tow) Just do one time through at your own pace and see what happens. Start with a 10 min walk warm-up and then 10 min cool down. Keep it low impact to start. Give it a try girl!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...