Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Habits

We've had our sweet puppy for a week now and I've only managed to create 1 bad habit so far.

One week.

And I already have a habit to break.

Sweet girl is SUCH a good girl and she loves to snuggle. Great, right? Well, the problem is that I LOVE to snuggle too. So, when I sit down, she comes over and onto my lap she plops. If I'm on the couch, she wants my lap. If I'm on the floor, she wants my lap. If I'm kneeling to put wood in the fire? She'll plop down right on my calves. All's fine and dandy now, but I don't want my dog up on the couch when she's bigger! So, now, I'm trying to form new habits. Just like with running...

When I started running in January, Tuesday and Thursday runs were done on a friend's treadmill. They were done at whatever time worked for her schedule and regardless of morning or afternoon, I got it done. Saturdays found my runs at the track and as my mileage picked up, I headed to a trail near my house. I loved my weekend runs. I loved running.

I had started running to prepare for the Girlfriend's 1/2 that was in October. So, really, I had no immediate goal... until I realized that maybe I was ready for a 5k. I signed up for the Shamrock Run and fell in love with racing. When I ran 12 miles with my friend Wendy, I felt ready for a 1/2 and wanted to do one sooner than October. I signed up for the Cinco de Mayo 1/2. Then, came the idea of the Eugene Women's 1/2. Then, Hood to Coast. And before I knew it I had many races right around the bend.

I was now hooked on racing. Basically, I had formed a habit. I was completely content with no races on the schedule until racing sucked me in.

I also rarely had a running partner at the beginning. Sure, one here or there, and soon weekday runs had me running with Mandi, but long runs often found me solo. And, that's how I preferred it. When I ran Cinco de Mayo I was great. Needing nothing but me, my shoes and my ipod to keep me going.

Then, came running partners more consistently on long runs. I loved it! Loved the time together! Love the conversations! Loved it!

New habit formed.

When it came time for the Eugene Women's 1/2 I didn't know what to do with myself. I needed a running partner. I was so thankful to run the first little bit with Sarah Bowen Shea as I so obnoxiously (I'm sure) chatted her ear off and finally made myself zip it. As I started struggling at mile 3 I found a couple of girls whose pace felt good and I latched onto them. It was lonely running by myself!

My runs between Eugene and Girlfriend's were often solo and so by the time I ran Girlfriend's, I was again fine to run alone.

New habit formed. Kind of.

I found myself thinking about January the other day. I feel like the habits that formed in the spring and summer have set me up for the funk I'm in now.

I just need to form new habits.

Run to run.

Be flexible.

Enjoy solo runs.

Cherish those with friends.

New habits starting now!

Are you quick to form habits and do you have a hard time changing them??

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes and yes. Having a hard time figuring out what to do with myself these days. Nothing to train for yet I want to run. But at 5am I am not quite so motivated. Sleeping in has been my new habit...not a good one. December funk...HERE!

Terri said...

I am struggling right now with winter. It is sooo hard to drag myself out of bed at 4:30 on a dark, cold morning! Like you, I just need to make it a habit. Thanks for the inspiration!

Eryn said...

YEp. It's been 10 days since I ran last. UGH. I miss it. But it's not real super safe in the dark in my hood, so I'm not ready to go it alone. I waaaaay prefer my running buddies anyhow.

I'm connecting with Jill tomorrow, and Heidi Thursday, so at least 2 this week. I don't want to loose the ground I've gained. Or find the 15lbs I lost. December is looking dangerous for me. But Selene and I are contemplating Portland in October...that commitment ought to get my rear in some sort of focused effort.

Anonymous said...

I love running with others... LOVE IT! Move to Dallas and I'll run with you every time. But I would have to learn to pick up the pace. ;-) Same with racing. I have the exact same "habits". I have a hard time turning down races and chances to run with others... ok, I just don't do it!

Tortuga_Runner said...

Oh habits. Um, yeah, I think I only have bad habits. It's 6:35 am and I should be running before work. Instead I'm in bed on my iPhone reading blogs...it's just so dark outside:(

Audrey said...

yes, major hard time forming new habits and sticking to them. yikes. feeling that way too, definitely need to get my rear in gear!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...