Yesterday's run was to be a tempo run with 4 miles at 8:41.
.25 into the warm-up mile and I knew I was in trouble... taking it "easy" and warming up at a 9:34 pace was kicking my rear!
I was tired. My legs were tired. I talked myself into just 1 more mile.
Warm-up done I kicked the speed up to 6.9 and kept that there until the current song was over. 7.0 it was from there to mile 2. The entire mile was spent talking myself into it. Less than 6 minutes, less than 5, less than... you get the picture.
Just make it one mile.
Beginning of mile 3. If I can finish this I'm half-way through. Picturing the track. Picturing the finish. Just one more...
Phew!
Half-way. Just one more. I'm not kidding.
You've got this. Breath. Focus. Nearing the end of the 3rd mile at tempo, the just 1's start getting pushed aside and the only 1's come out to play.
It's only 1 mile. What does one mile do? Really? Only 1. You've pushed hard. You've done 3 at tempo. You should just call it a day.
Nope. Sorry.
It's not only 1. It's just 1! And, I can do it!
Last mile at tempo. Counting down. Pushing hard. Got it!
Yesterday's run was not just a tempo run. It was also a mental training run. My body and mind were at war with that treadmill. My body and mind were tired. But, my mind was able to push past the crossed eyes and conquer. And while it was a hard run, I felt amazing at the end of it!
Triumphant!
warm up mile, 8:41, 8:36, 8:41, 8:26, cool down mile. 6 miles in 53:17!
Looking forward to running "just" 14 miles on Saturday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What A Difference The Hills Make
Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them. I seek them o...
-
I was recently contacted by CSN stores to host a giveaway on my blog. What fun! CSN has over 200 stores with some super fun stuff... you ca...
-
It's one of those days. One in which I fought with my daughter over her desire to not get out of her warm jammies so that she could get ...
-
I woke up at 6:45 Saturday morning and glanced at the clock. Excitement filled my body. Knowing, the very next day, I would be toeing the ...
7 comments:
So true. I love the ONLY vs. the JUST!
JUST miles push you to the finish! Good luck this weekend. I think I have 15 on the books!
That's funny, I did my tempo run yesterday, .5 warmup,9:30,9:30,10,9:30, 9:30 for the first .5 and 9 for the last .5 and a .5 cooldown. I did have to pause the mill to go potty twice and jump a few times, but for less than .1 of a mile each time. My total time was 58:57
HOpe your weekend run goes awesome.
Nice job! I've got just 12 for Sunday. You can do 14, no problem!
You are one of the mentally toughest girls I know, seriously. I don't know anyone who can power through when it counts like you. Life, runs, all of it. You rock.
That is awesome - what a pace! :)
Way to talk yourself through it. Sorry I have been away from blogland, but I am back and glad to be reading your fresh, motivating posts. Have a great weekend!
Post a Comment