My mom is currently on her way to LA and I'm fighting every jealous bone in my body to be happy and excited for her.
She's gone down there for years with her friend to help Team Parkinson and she also loves walking the 5K. And, really, until last year, I never really took notice.
Last year, I started running. Last year, when she called me to say she was watching the elites cross the finish line, I took notice. Last year, I said, "maybe next year." Half joking. Half serious.
Then, I was talking to my brother and told him what I'd said. He told me I could run it for him. That by the time I was done I wouldn't even like him anymore. I laughed and said, "I'll run the 1st 1/2 for you and the second 1/2 for me. I'll still love you!"
I seriously considered having LA be my first marathon. My mom would be there to watch me cross the finish line and there's just something about that that would make it so special. But, Cory wouldn't be able to be there... that would make it much less special. Because, I love my mom, but my husband HAS to be there the 1st time! I also would have had to train in the yuckiest time of the year here in the NW (not that it's much better right now!).
Then, Vancouver came along. That would be my first. LA would have to wait...
Fast forward to November when my Dad was visiting. We were talking about LA and he turned and said he would pay for me to run LA so I could go down with my mom. My oh-so-impulsive self just about said yes and hit the register now button. I decided to look at a calender. 14 weeks. I pulled a schedule up from SmartCoach. I analyzed. I was tempted.
But, reality was, it was 14 weeks and I hadn't even been running a year yet. I could wait for LA 2012.
The weeks have passed by. I've started training for Vancouver. I'm so looking forward to running my 1st marathon in June. In my home state. With many other friends. But, still...
As my mom has gotten closer to going, I found myself fighting. I really am excited for her. She has so much fun on this trip. So much fun! So, I'll be excited for her this year and look forward to next year!
LA 2012!!
Friday, March 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What A Difference The Hills Make
Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them. I seek them o...
-
I was recently contacted by CSN stores to host a giveaway on my blog. What fun! CSN has over 200 stores with some super fun stuff... you ca...
-
It's one of those days. One in which I fought with my daughter over her desire to not get out of her warm jammies so that she could get ...
-
I woke up at 6:45 Saturday morning and glanced at the clock. Excitement filled my body. Knowing, the very next day, I would be toeing the ...
4 comments:
If you run LA, I will come and watch you! It is only about an hour from here. We will be there to cheer you on!
Remember, you are here in L.A. with me in spirit anyway. I love you!!
Thanks Liz! That would be amazing!! And Mom?? I LOVE YOU!!
Awww, there is always next year. And with the extra training you can ROCK it next year!
Post a Comment