Monday, May 2, 2011

Our Legs

I have always strongly disliked my legs. In my opinion, they are more like boy legs than girls legs. My calves are large, my thighs are thick. They are not long. They are not lanky. They are, however, strong and sturdy.

My legs have gotten me through many miles. Many. Miles.

On Saturday, they went farther than they have ever gone. They were tired from the start. Tired from a day of crying. Dehydrated, I'm sure.

I spent most of Friday crying. Crying so much that when I kissed my kids that night, Jack took a look at me and said, "Mom, you look REALLY tired!"

Friday morning, we found out that my brother has pneumonia. Friday morning, things were not looking good at all. Friday morning, we faced many realities.

Saturday morning I picked Wendy up a little after 6:30. We were to run 20 together. 20!!

We started and, honestly, by 2 miles in I knew it wasn't good to be an "easy" run. I was already tired and tried to convince myself that it was just taking me a bit to warm up.

While the miles went by, I was so thankful to be running with Wendy. It had been awhile since we had ran together and it was so good to catch up and "rest" in each others company. Love you Wendy!

Wendy was in charge of the route and it really was a pretty run - minus the 5 miles out and back 164th! We ran along, up hills and down, and I was reminded that I haven't run on many hills in quite a while. My thighs were talking to me. I was tired!

By mile 13 we were walking through drink and fuel stops. The legs were heavy and I was telling myself, "ONLY 7 more!! You can do this!! We can do this!!" In my head, I was singing, "I can do most anything through Christ who strengthens me!! I can climb a mountain when I'm 4, even 3!! I just have to put my heart and mind straight to the test. With Jesus and determination, I can do my best! Do my best!! With Jesus as my strength I'll do my best He'll do the rest!!"

Mile 15. "Five more!! We've got this!!"

Right before mile 19 my stomach cramped big time. I just about doubled over and instead we started to walk. We walked to the stoplight and waited for the light to turn green. At that point, I placed my toes up on the light post to stretch my cramped calves. Before I could even think about it, tears sprang to my eyes. I hurt terribly and felt like the idiot girl crying on the side of the road. Doubt was creeping in.

We finished the last mile. Running. Pushing. I've got this. Wendy just a bit ahead. Pushing. Done.

Back at the car we stretched a bit and head home. I seriously felt like I was in labor. That is how much I hurt. I looked at Wendy, "I don't want to! How can I? 6.2 more??" How???

Got home, took a quick shower, compression tights and sweats on and headed out the door for Jack's baseball game. I ached like I never had before. I had taken ibuprofen and it wasn't touching it.

Before we left I noticed that my mom had called. I asked Cory why she had called. "You're brother's in the hospital."

My mind reeled. My heart ached. I called my mom. I called my friends. I was going to leave that afternoon to see him. My dear friends would drive over with me. Instead, I ended up hopping on a plane and off I went.

Chris asked me why I was there when I walked into his room, "I had to tell you I love you!"

He asked how my marathon was. I told him I hadn't done it yet. But, that I had just run 20 that morning for him. He asked how I got there. My mom told him I ran :)

Those 24 hours were filled with many gifts. Blessings from God. But, one that I will cherish, is one that will carry me far...

Our legs.

I was rubbing my brother's foot and glanced at his legs sticking out from his covers. His calves. So strong. They looked just like mine! It was confirmed. I do have boy legs. I have my brother's legs! Albeit much less hair :) His legs. His legs are strong. My legs are strong. His legs have gotten him far. My legs will get me far.

His legs.

My legs.

Our legs.

In that moment, I knew I could do it. With God and our legs, we've got this! Our legs are strong and they will get me through each mile. I will cherish these legs. I will be thankful for these legs. I will always love these legs.

12 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Mer - My heart aches for you. I hope your brother is doing better. You are strong and you will get through all that is thrown at you! hugs!

gba_gf said...

Mer - I have chills reading this. Your legs are strong, as is your heart...

So the first 20 sucked, good news - that was the hardest (running) thing you will ever do... you'll find the next one WAY easier... and then the race will be stellar. I believe. I do.

Pamela said...

You have your brothers legs and his heart too. He is so proud of you and loves you so much.

A Prelude To... said...

What a day you had. All kinds of tears popped into my eyes - from the run...to seeing your brother and saying you love him ...to realizing how great your legs are!!

I hope he is doing well!

Anonymous said...

This is a great post.

I have issues with my legs too... so much so that I never wear shorts or skirts without tights.

H Love said...

Oh Mer...tears are flowing. Blessing come in all forms don't they. Our creator is so BIG...he makes everything perfect. So happy you had this time and more time to come I pray. I prayed for your brother last night and will continue to pray. Please know I am here. Praying that your feel God's presence during this time. HUGS!!

Julie D. said...

wow. I read the comments before mine...what support we have not just in running through this crazy online community, but 'life' support, as well. Mere, you are loved...this post is perfect. You can do it. All 26.2 of it on those legs of yours, that will carry you far. Love you, friend.

Eryn said...

I have tears too. SO glad you were able to make it over to see him. I prayed all day friday for you, Chris and fam. Love you dearly, and I'm so proud of you for pushing through all TWENTY miles. You are AMAZING!

Eryn said...

ps, I love your new perspective on your legs. Over the years, you've told me how you felt about those legs...and I'm so proud of you for owning a new proudness over them. THOSE LEGS, are fan-freaking-tastic!!

ashleys said...

O love your legs sweet friend, but mostly your heart!! You have got 26.2 & Chris will be so proud of you . Thank you for the post - great perspective. Love you!!

michelle allen said...

a beautiful and inspiring post. thank you.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the most beautiful posts I have read that I can remember. I'm an emotional puddle. Many prayers for your brother. And may your amazing legs carry you confidently through 26.2 miles!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...