Yesterday was an exciting and nostalgic day for me. I couldn't help but smile and reflect...
Last Super Bowl Sunday I headed out for a 4 mile run with 3 of my friends. The guys were watching the game and we thought it would be fun to go for a run.
4 miles.
I had started running in January and was doing the Couch to 5K program. I loved it and was really seeing progress. On week two of the program, I finished up my session and out of complete curiosity I decided I would try to run an entire mile straight. No walking. I had no idea if I could do it, but I decided to push on and see if I was capable.
To my surprise, it felt great and I continued to do that extra mile with each session.
But, 1 mile was all that I had done straight through.
I had no idea if I could do 4. Nor did Mandi. But, our other friends told us that we could walk if we needed to. There was no pressure.
As we ran along, there were a couple of times I had to remind myself that it wasn't going to kill me. Most the time though, I was just excited to be running with friends and as the miles went by the excitement grew.
We talked about running. About training for the Girlfriend's 1/2 (2 of the friends I was running with were my inspiration to run the 1/2 in the 1st place) I had all sorts of questions about what to eat before long runs? And after long runs? What to drink? What to wear?
At one point we did walk. A quick breath and about 200 feet later we were off again.
When we finished up the 4 I could not get over the fact that we had pretty much ran 4 miles non-stop!
Amazed and encouraged I headed out to complete 4 the next weekend as well. When I was done, I couldn't wait to tell Cory that I had actually done it! He, of course, said, "I knew you could!"
4 miles and it was huge!
Yesterday, I headed out for a deep breath. My first outside run in 2 weeks. My first somewhat long run out my back door on the hills. My only game plan was to run 4-6 miles. Nothing super ambitious, but something to celebrate the day.
It was one of those runs where I'm sure I looked like a complete goofball. Where the smile didn't leave my face. Where the miles went by way too fast. I didn't want it to end but knew I didn't have a lot of extra time. I had said I would be home in 40 minutes to an hour.
But, when mile 3 came, I just couldn't turn around. I just couldn't. I went another 1/2 mile and finally headed back home.
The hills felt glorious. The fresh air even better. The beauty of God's creation layed out before me. I was soaring.
I glanced at my watch during my last mile and a 10:26 mile stared me in the face. While I felt that I hadn't been pushing it, I definitely felt faster than that. So, I picked it up a bit. Then, a bit more...
Mile 1 - 9:16
Mile 2 - 9:07
Mile 3 - 9:10
Mile 4 - 8:58
Mile 5 - 9:05
Mile 6 - 9:12
Mile 7 - 8:42
An amazing 7 miles that left me with a smile on my face yesterday and sore muscles today! Thankful for a day to look back on where the last year has brought me. Smiling about the fact that a year ago I thought I was wanting to run a 1/2 and thinking that the challenge of running one would be enough. Never thinking I would love running like I do. Never thinking I would ever view the 1/2 distance as something incredibly doable and not as challenging as I thought. And never did I think that I would ever gear up to run a marathon. Ever!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What A Difference The Hills Make
Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them. I seek them o...
-
I was recently contacted by CSN stores to host a giveaway on my blog. What fun! CSN has over 200 stores with some super fun stuff... you ca...
-
It's one of those days. One in which I fought with my daughter over her desire to not get out of her warm jammies so that she could get ...
-
I woke up at 6:45 Saturday morning and glanced at the clock. Excitement filled my body. Knowing, the very next day, I would be toeing the ...
6 comments:
You're amazing, Meredith. :)
What a great post! It is so fun (and motivating) to look back and see how much progress is made in a year's time. Great job!! You should definitely be proud. Glad your run was so good. :)
Erin
http://seemomrunfar.blogspot.com/
Your posts always remind me of the spiritual aspect of running. :) Thanks.
I wish I loved running like you do!
I love it! Great job! I know exactly what you mean....the idea of a half or marathon was so far out of reach!! It is a amazing transformation that can happen with running and an open mind.
It's incredible how far you've come, isn't it? What a great feeling! Good job! :0)
Post a Comment