I'm wondering if this is just all part of the marathon roller coaster...
I've felt strong. Excited. Confident. Proud. No regrets.
Right?
Then, day by day, it's farther.
It's now been a week.
And, if I didn't have a plan, I'm sure that I would be searching out the next marathon. Wanting to do it all again.
Right now.
Other than my 2nd toe in on both feet, my body feels better than I thought it could. I ran an easy 2.25 on Tuesday and while the 1st mile was slow, the 2nd mile felt amazing and I was surprised when my sore quads felt better after than they did before the run. On Wednesday, I went out for 5 and the miles flew by. A refreshing deep breath with a smile on my face the entire time.
This weekend, I hope to head out for 4-6, but, we'll see. I weeded all day yesterday and although I used sunscreen, I'm sporting a nice sunburn right where my sports bra needs to go. To be honest, it hurts to have a t-shirt touch it - having a hard time thinking about a sports bra rubbing against it!
That fresh air is calling though...
And then, like a dumb thief in the night, I've started doubting and regretting. Darn it!! For whatever reason I started thinking about my time yesterday.
My marathon time, my 4:21:42, has not disappointed me up until yesterday. It's tried. It has. As I looked at my watch last Sunday and I got to the last half I started to get disappointed. I made myself look away. There's a reason I haven't posted split times. I don't want to look.
Last night, I started wondering. Where was I at 20 miles? What was my time?? My stomach churned to think about it. I pushed it to the back and forgot about it until this morning.
Crap.
Why did I look?
Now, I want to cry.
Now, disappoint creeps in.
Now, I want to run another marathon RIGHT NOW!
Crap.
3:00:11
That's my time at 19 miles.
Then, came the big hill.
3:12:06 (that hurts to post that)
That's my time at 20 miles.
If I had hydrated better.
If only I hadn't walked up that hill.
If only.
I want to cry.
Crap.
4:00 was within reach and all the if onlys are creeping in.
Trying to hold on to the fact that it was my 1st. Holding on to the fact that I loved it. That I want to do it again. That I get to do it again. That I get to learn a little something every time.
Wondering if I will remember this next time? Wondering.
Now, I'm pushing it to the back. Now, it's time to enjoy my husband, my giggling kids, my yummy cup of coffee and the amazing sunshine that streams through my window.
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Sunday, June 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What A Difference The Hills Make
Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them. I seek them o...
-
I was recently contacted by CSN stores to host a giveaway on my blog. What fun! CSN has over 200 stores with some super fun stuff... you ca...
-
It's one of those days. One in which I fought with my daughter over her desire to not get out of her warm jammies so that she could get ...
-
I woke up at 6:45 Saturday morning and glanced at the clock. Excitement filled my body. Knowing, the very next day, I would be toeing the ...
8 comments:
That's better than my full would be! My first (and only at the moment 1/2 was a 2:26:27...I was disappointed it wasn't the 2:15 that I was hoping for. I than went back and looked at the elevation profile as a reminder that it was a VERY hilly course with rolling hills the last 3 miles. I had only been running for 6 months and I completed a 1/2 M!! I just have to keep telling myself that I will get faster and will be even more ready for my next one! Just remember how many people are proud of you for completing it and focus on that! So many people don't push themselves to see what they are made of. You did, and you know what you need to work on to kick your next full's butt!!
You did a GREAT JOB and every marathon teaches you something. You will go into your next one with experience and some "lessons learned" and that will help a lot!! I DID run another marathon shortly after my first, but only because I enjoyed the first one and wanted to do it again, not because I was disappointed in the first. And I have kept on running them. I am hooked. :)
You should be so proud with how you did! It is ok to be proud and still see room for improvement at the same time. Congrats again! You really did do a great job. :)
Wow, we runners sure are hard on ourselves. You had such a fantastic run, I hope you can find the "time" to enjoy it a bit longer.
I hate to say this outloud, but honestly, I think the first marathon surprises everyone. You know you can hold a certain pace... you make a realistic, yet challenging goal... and the day, it always brings you things you don't expect... but I think that's why we all do marathon #2... cause we know there's more... and then marathon #3... and so on and so on. You did absolutely phenomenal, girl... and you *will* get your sub-4! You will. The marathon is hard! A 4:21 first marathon is A-freakin-mazing. ;-)
You said it yourself that NOBODY was running that hill... and you ran halfway up for the photo-op!
You are my hero.
SO MUCH my hero.
You do know what is happening here, right?
Someone not in your corner is trying to steal your joy.
Don't let it happen!
You are awesome.
I'm a new reader and just ran my first 26.2 also.
first of all YOU. RAN. A. MARATHON!
That is awesome! And I think we runners tend to be pretty darn perfetionistic and even when we are HAPPY with our times we will still go back and second guess every step of every run.
Congrats on your 26.2!
YIKES! We are in the same boat. I was actually going to do a post today on some regrets, but I've had a couple things smack me up side the head today and I refuse to let regrets slide in...it does no good...no good at all...but darken the good time we had.
regrets? No, I think... "lessons for next time". That's where...
"need more cowbell" comes from...
parcheesi~ you think we just made that up? ~lesson.
There is no such thing as the wall ~ lesson.
You didn't train for 20 weeks to not bring it... ~ lesson.
So don't regret. Learn. Savor the lesson. Not everyone gets to be EPIC like you ... not every gets their lessons served on a platter of 26.2 miles of bada**ness. EPIC, Meredith... EPIC. Don't forget it in the weeks that come. Go back and read your report and see what I see....
Yeah, EPIC...
Post a Comment