Thursday, March 8, 2012

Numbers

5.  The number of training runs I have left before the LA Marathon.

23.  The number of miles I have left to run...

16.  The number of miles, if I follow this pace band, that land in the 8:20's (my favorite place to be)

3:40 pace chart vs. my 14 mile training run in which I felt like I could go on forever.  Looks pretty good :)
8.  The number of miles, during a training run, that I ran in the 8:20's.

Countless.  The number of times I've studied this pace chart.

10.  The number of days until LA. 

7.2.  The number of weeks plus 2 days until Eugene.  Funny, it's really not even on my radar :)

41.  The number of minutes it took me to run 5 miles yesterday.

7:42.  The pace I was to hold for 3 miles.  A pace that would have me running my fastest 3 miles ever.

Countless.  The number of times, while driving, that I told myself I COULD do it.

7:43, 7:39, 7:32.  My split times :)

Countless.  The number of times I've envisioned the marathon.  The joy.  The pain.  Visualizing my legs pumping in time.  Visualizing the finish line.  Visualizing 3:40.

I study the paces to prepare.  I've found that when I go into my runs with a plan, I am more successful.  I have a goal to shoot for.  I know what I'm doing.

My only question is if I want to build in more of a warm-up.  Start around a 9 minute pace and speed up from there.  That's what my body is used to.  However, I've also had runs where I've hit it from the get go and felt great at the end too.  Decisions.  Decisions...

Countless.  The number of times I've pulled up the forecast for LA.  Right now, it's looking beautiful - "Colder with occasional rain.  High 65  Low 49."  If only that holds...

I am giddy with excitement and yet I've found myself in a weird place.  To be honest, I wondered what in the world was wrong with me the other day.  Then, I remembered one of my favorite posts from G.  And while I'm not going completely mad - I do not think my leg is broken, my hangnails are fine and I'm not feeling sick.  The mental side of it is there.  I have wondered about my shoes.  I have felt down.  I have been irritable and short tempered.

And, yes, I did sign up for this.

And, yes, I do love it.

And, yes, it is completely and entirely worth it :)



5 comments:

H Love said...

so strong and fast! love you!

Unknown said...

You've got this. 8:20 is wicked fast, I'm so impressed at your goal time.

Tasha Malcolm said...

I am so excited for you! I know that Eugene isn't on your radar yet (for obvious good reasons), but I am so excited to see you there!

Have you thought about your race outfit yet for LA? I know that you had mentioned you might not wear what you were originally thinking because it might be warm. I think picking out the race outfit is always the hardest. Such a girl thing!

XX

Devon @ CrossTraining said...

I love "going through this" with you by reading. I honestly miss training for a marathon because I love those giddy "can I really do this?" type of feelings!

I bet you don't need to go any slower than about 8:30 or 8:45 for your warm up. You're doing so great, I love reading all about. Praying for continued health, excitement, and PEACE :)

Julie D. said...

hey my friend,
so sorry i have been blog absent. I'm caught up now, read G's post, and am officially PSYCHED for you. You have worked so hard and come so far. You want to know what? You have come 100x further mentally than you have even physically. I'm so proud of you and for all that you have accomplished. get after it, girl. 3:40 is YOURS.
Julie

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...