I relied, with my whole mind, body and soul, on my God.
HE got me to that finish line.
I hydrated well all week.
I rested.
I ate well.
I may have felt like I had gained 20 lbs, but as of Saturday morning when I stepped on the scale, nothing was gained.
I was positive. I did not let the suck monkey take me down. At no time during the race did I question my ability, I only mourned for what I knew the race should be.
I made it to the starting line with no injury, no doubt, only a smile and praise for my Savior.
I prayed for friends.
I was thankful.
I cherished, savored...
I relied on God.
What Went Wrong
Excuse the gross foot shot. This post is for me...
The one on the other foot is a bit smaller.
I keep trying to figure this one out. Blisters. I haven't gotten a blister since marathon #1 and that was from the seam that rubbed the outside of my toe.
Blisters.
I ran all of my long runs in the socks I wore on race day.
I never glide my feet on my long runs.
Blisters.
The only thing I can figure is that yes, 26.5 is more that 22, but they started at mile 8...
My next theory, there were A LOT of up and down hill sections. A lot! More than my body is used to. My shins and quads are still screaming at me and that only reiterates this fact. What I think happened is my foot slid back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. My foot was not happy.
What I think happened is that months ago I was told my shoes may be a size too big.
I had no problems with them so I changed nothing.
Perhaps, the fact that they are a size too big+the hills=blisters.
I have a bit of an anxiety problem. I've wondered before and I'm sure I'll wonder again, does the build up, the anxiety, the pressure? Do these things cause a negative effect on my body? What do I do about that?
Was I over confident?
I keep wondering about my beginning pace.
But, really, it wasn't that I hit a wall. I just flat out was in pain with every step.
Regardless, here are the splits. Remember, this is for me. This is to learn. Not to be embarrassed by (this is MY pep talk)
8:19
8:16
These look fast, but really there were BIG downhills and I was just going for a ride. I felt like it would be a waste to hold back and this is what my 3:40 pace called for.
8:32
8:33
Still close to paces. Going up hills.
8:46
8:50
This was the big hill by the concert hall.
8:25
8:12
And down we go again.
8:47
8:49
And up.
9:41 - I think this is where I stripped off my shirt
8:46
Pain.
8:45
9:08
Pushing.
10:34
9:41
Pushing. Ready to quit.
11:04 - Send out a text
10:26 - Walk up a hill
11:26
12:12
Refilling water. Crying. Reading texts of encouragement.
10:18
10:52
Really still trying to "run"
9:36
10:09
That was me pushing as fast as I could.
Forgot to turn my watch off, but I must have had some sort of kick. Best time says 8:03
It's hard for me to look at these paces. To watch it slip away.
All I can do is learn from this experience and hold on to the fact that my God got me to that finish line.
Regardless of the fact that I did not meet my goal, I did have an amazing experience. The people who put on the LA Marathon did an amazing job. They seem to have learned from their mistakes from the past and put on an awesome, awesome marathon!
As I rest my body, I prepare for #3.
Eugene.
I already have a plan. But, plans can change. For now, I'm thinking my pacing will look like my 16 mile training runs.
9:10
9:05
9:00
8:50
8:40
8:30
And then hang in the 8:20 for as long as my strong body and mind will hold on :)
I think that this is the best plan for me. It's what my body seems to like. I believe it's what will help me get closer to my goal. Because, truly, every step closer, is still closer.

6 comments:
I like your new plan.
I always Body Glide in between my toes.
I agree with your theory about why you got blisters. Different motion. I also wonder about the heat and what it does to all of our body parts.
The heat/sweat give me all kinds of chafing problems elsewhere. I forget about it until I'm running in a different city.
I am so inspired by you Mere.
You have a wonderful attitude!! It is OK to be disappointed, but it is even more important that you see all the things you did well/right and aren't beating yourself up (I hope that you aren't!!!) and that you have found another race to look forward to. You did the best you could on the conditions you had that day, and that is all you ever can do. You didn't quit when MANY would have, and that is something you need to OWN and be proud of, and use to your mental advantage next time. I am PROUD OF YOU!!! Big hugs my friend!!
oh, and for what it is worth, I never use Body Glide or anything on my feet for training runs, but always do for races. Hope those nasty blisters heal up quickly.
A marathon is the one race you spend weeks and months preparing for, but yet on race day anything can happen. It isn't like you a 5K where you might have a bad race and then race another 5K the following week and have a good race. Anything can happen in 26.2 miles.
You did such an amazing job in LA. I did't realize the course would be so hilly. Besides the hills, was it at least pretty?
Your heart was in the right place but sometimes we fall only to rise again stronger! I believe in you and that you can do ALL things through Christ!! I'm reminded of this verse: Proverbs 24:16 NASB "For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again,
But the wicked stumble in time of calamity." Get back up and dust yourself off and persevere to win the next one, you are righteous in Christ and if God be for you who can be against you?
And I think your plan sounds great!! I think negative splits are much easier to run :)
Regardless of what happened, you finished. Regardless of how disappointed you might be with your time, or your splits, you did what your body allowed you to do. And that is all one can really ask for. Ask too much of it, and you might not be able to run again for a while. ;-)
I read your little note to yourself on the right side of your blog page - this sounds exactly like -I mean, nearly verbatim!! - what I try to keep telling myself all the time. SO inspiring.
Best of luck in Eugene!!
Post a Comment