Monday, May 24, 2010

Dedicated

Yesterday was only to be 7 miles. It was also supposed to happen early. Before church. So, we could have the rest of the day to work in the yard and relax. 8:00 came and went. I moseyed out of bed, snuggled with my boys, drank some coffee and watched the rain fall. The weather man said it should be more intermittent by the afternoon. I decided to run then...

Church ended and it was still pouring down rain. Life in the Northwest, I know. But, is it so wrong to ask for rain free runs?

The sun peeked out and I headed out too. It was so beautiful that I even took my little jacket off and tied it around my waist. Beautiful!! Birds chirping. Sun shining. Beautiful!

1.5 miles in and it reminded me of the April Showers song in Bambi. A drop here. A drop there. Then lots of drops everywhere.

It was pouring!

I could see the looks on the faces of the people driving by. I thought I must look crazy! I decided I could look at it 2 ways. Either be bummed I was running in the rain, OR be proud that I was running in the rain. I chose proud and wore it like a badge as I ran on.

I laughed as I looked at my lap times. I was supposed to run it at 10:29's. Ended up averaging 9:45. You can tell the miles that it was really raining because I sure went a lot faster... one at 9:25 and another at 9:01.

I kicked it the last 1/2 mile and even got an encouraging honk as a car drove by. My hands were numb and my arms weren't much better, but I couldn't stop myself when I opened the door...

"Hey, Babe, could you get me my camera and a towel??"

Yes. I did. I just had to document the wettest I've ever been. Rain dripping off my hat. Sloshing out my shoes. Proud to have toughed it out. Glad to have an amazingly hot shower when I was done!


6 comments:

Julie D. said...

That is freakin awesome!! love it. love that we had similar experiences this weekend and husbands who thought we were just a (tad) crazy!! :)
love ya, friend.

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

I love rain runs - My daughters middle name is Raine :) It was raining the day she was born!

Audrey said...

you go, Mere! that's awesome. i, for one, LOVE running in the rain.

Jennifer said...

You are one tough cookie! You go girl!

EricaH said...

Good for you, sounds like a great run you should definitely be proud. :)

Amy said...

Love the pic, glad you had Cory take it! BTW, you look amazing, even soaking wet :-) Can't wait to squeeze ya in July!!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...