Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Great Eight

We were visiting my brother and his beautiful family in Coeur d'Alene this last weekend and I was scheduled to run an 8 miler. Before my brother was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago, he was running often and even had hopes of being an Ironman. I asked if he had any good suggestions for my run...

He took me out on his 4 wheeler and drove the course for me. Through his neighborhood, down a road, up a crazy steep hill, down the hill, up another, down a gravel road, and back, through another neighborhood, and back home again. This was almost 4. I could just double it, or meander my way through the neighborhoods, looping here and there.

To be honest, I was a little nervous. I kept asking for reassurance... "you're SURE this is safe??" To me, there was little traffic and I'd be running down a gravel road for pete's sake. NOT what I would pick if I were home, but, he continued to tell me it was safe...

Their sweet little pugle wanted to come along too and feeling like maybe, just maybe, he might scare someone off when I was out in the middle of no where, I brought him with. We headed out and I was just about done with the gravel road when poor little Boots was not looking so hot. Tongue hanging out and lagging behind, I decided to not push him anymore and took him home. I decided to run the hill again since it was so much fun the first time and just enjoyed the beauty of it all. It seriously was gorgeous and I was, I admit, a little proud of myself for getting out and running 8, in the clouds and rain, on our mini-vacation.

Miles 6,7 and 8 were fairly wet and I welcomed every drop. It felt so good and after my 7 in the pouring down rain, I have actually started to love a run in the rain.

Have I mentioned that I love running? Have I mentioned how amazing it is to feel each step? To look around at all the beauty we are so blessed with? Thank you Lord for it all!

No comments:

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...