Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Million Thoughts...

Okay. Maybe not a million. But, a lot. Shoot. I was on vacation and my brain is just a little mish mashed and I now have 4 kids pulling me from every angle (#5 is off at camp this week)...

I read 3 books and 1 entire magazine while away for 8 days. Yes. That was 3 books and 1 ENTIRE magazine.

It started with the magazine. The latest issue of Runner's World, purchased just before boarding the plane to head to paradise. What a treat and a treasure. I enjoyed every minute of peace and loved every single word I read. Inspired. Getting educated. Laughing. Crying. I have only read a magazine cover to cover one other time... an issue of Women's Running that I got for my birthday this year.

Then I moved on to a couple of fluffy fiction books. One by Nicholas Sparks the other by Jodi Piccoult. Great authors. Good reads. Great vacation books read on the sandy beaches of Cabo.

I laughed, cried, and got inspired all through book 3. Having to share bits and pieces of what I was reading... I'm sure it got old, but I just could not stop myself. Can you imagine what this book might have been about? Yes. Running. A great book called Personal Record. It was written by Rachel Toor. Oh. My Word. It was an amazing read and was over all too quickly. It's a book written about her life and love of running. How she got started. Her training. Her races. She's a marathoner and ultra marathoner and I loved every word she wrote. Yes. I'm the goofball with tears streaming down my face while reading about running. Yes. I. Am.

Speaking of tears. They continue to come to my eyes every time I think of my dear friends who ran the Seattle Rock n' Roll Marathon this last weekend. They literally rocked it and as I got the text telling me Julie had realized her dream of finishing under 4, I could not hold the tears back. And when I found out that night that her best friend Ashley made it all the way to mile 25 before her body quit doing what it had been trained to do, I cried some more. And when I talked to Wendy who told me of her sprint to the finish as she saw her husband and was so happy to be home, I cried more. Then, when I heard Michelle BQ'd for a 2nd time... yes. More tears. I am just so proud of each and every one of them...

And as I've talked with Julie and seen that her love of running has only increased since her finish on Saturday, she, of course, has asked when I'm doing one. The answer? I just don't know.

There's that perfectionist side of me that wants to know my body can handle at least 20 miles before I actually commit. What if my knees and hips won't go that long regardless of what my mind wants to do? I have no desire to stop at 13.1. I want more. More challenge. More miles. More. Training for a half was not nearly the challenge I expected. And I want more.

But.

What if I only ever do one? What if?

I want that one to be a good one. So where? Which one??

I thought of L.A. since my mom will be there. Starting at Dodger stadium. Ending at the beach. Beautiful course. Sounds good. But, what about the weather? What if it's too warm. It would require a bit of traveling and I'd have to train in the winter. Cold, wet, dark, winter. Wake up when it's dark and wet. Already dark and wet again by the time the kids get home from school... okay. Not really, but it does get dark early. Regardless, most runs would be done in the dark. The wet. And the cold...

Then, there's the inaugural Vancouver USA Marathon next June. Right in my own backyard. Would be pretty amazing. Watched the course yesterday and feel I need to drive it now. Didn't look so enticing...

Or maybe Eugene next spring. Julie might be there. Looks like a beautiful course. Right before summer so I don't have to leave my family for long runs on beautiful summer weekends. Would be able to train in better weather. Timing seems perfect, unless Cory is gone at an alpaca show...

Is it just me? Does it really require this much thought? Shouldn't I just be able to pick a race and go with it??

Ahh, Mexico. Take me away...


Deep breath.


Better.


Mexico was amazing. Amazing friends. Amazing paradise. Amazing time with my sweet husband. And for the 1st time in my life, I ran on vacation. Some people thought I was crazy. Isn't vacation for doing nothing? Nope. Not for me. I looked at it this way... I GOT to run without having to make sure the kids were okay. I GOT to run on vacation. Because, shoot, isn't vacation about doing what you want to do??

I was scheduled to do a 9 mile the first weekend, then a 3 on Tuesday and a 6 on Thursday and another 9 the weekend we got home. Didn't totally work out that way...

There was a 30 minute time limit on the treadmill in the workout room. So, the 1st day, I figured 3 miles on. 3 miles running outside in the little gated community. 3 more miles back on the treadmill. Great in theory. Just 1 little thing. The workout room was a room with wide open windows. No air and the fans on my treadmill did not work. So, picture this, a girl who is used to running in 48 degrees, now running in a room that is in the 80's. Yeah. Little warm. I was sweating like a crazy lady and was pushing through. Got through the 1st 3 and headed outside. Um. Yeah. Lasted maybe 8 minutes and was back inside again. Outside was even hotter and there was NO flat ground. Just lots and lots of hills. Got back on the treadmill and after almost 3 more miles, I noticed I was no longer sweating. At all. Then, I started getting the chills. My oh so smart self thought this MUST not be good. I slowed it down and started walking. Needless to say, 9 did NOT get run...

I realized I was going to have to change my plan and decided to just run 3 the next day and felt much better. Took Monday off. Ran 4.25 on Tuesday. 4. 25 Wednesday. 6 Thursday. 3 Friday. By the end of the week, I was feeling great. I worked on my speed by doing intervals and also did some runs trying to go a little faster for a little longer. Because it was so stinkin' warm, I decided to do this all at no incline...

Then, came my 9 yesterday. Having taken the week off hills, my body was sure talking to me. My buns and legs said, "how do you do?" And we had fun getting reacquainted. It was wonderful running in cooler weather. Wonderful feeling my muscles talk to me. Wonderful running 9. To be honest, I was worried my body wouldn't make it. It had been 2 weeks since I had a long run. Thankfully, it was like riding a bike. My body knew just what to do. Ahh. Wonderful 9.

I was at church on Sunday and my friend walked up and whispered in my ear, "you have the sexiest calves..." I didn't really hear the rest. Yes. She did say sexy at church :) I was flattered beyond words. Flattered because I really don't like my legs. My legs look more like my brother's than my sister's. My thighs are tree trunks. My ankles? Non existent. My calves? Well, let's just say they're probably as big around as some people's thighs. I do not have little legs. My thighs will always touch. They are more athletic than feminine. So, to have someone compliment them felt wonderful.

My body has changed since the 1st of the year. Less weight. More muscle. Stronger. Healthier than ever. Combining Jazzercise and running was the best thing for my body. And my mind. I'm trying to be content with how God has made me. To enjoy the muscle. To be okay with the fact that I will never look like most of my friends. To embrace my tree trunk legs and just accept and enjoy the compliment, "you have the sexiest calves..."

1 comment:

Julie D. said...

I LOVE this post. First of all, whatever marathon you choose, it will be the right one. The marathon itself is the experience. Not necessarily when and where. Although there are positive and negatives to each one. Second...i love your SEXY calves!! thanks for your support mere. You passion for running is inspiring. Keep it up, friend.

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...