Friday, January 7, 2011

Treadmill Games

I'm happy to say that the first week has gone well for Tall Mom's 1,000 mile challenge. Of course, it helps that we've been staying up to late and I've been super tired the next day. It helps that by the time I get the kids out the door to school I feel like I've already run a mini marathon of my own and collapse with coffee and oatmeal in hand. It helps that my house has been oh-so-warm and cozy and I haven't wanted to part with it. It all helps.

How does it help??

I have only been able to get my rear out the door, on time, ONE time this week to go to Jazzercise. And because I'm really trying to get rid of 5+ lbs, I HAVE to do something. So, that something has been running on the mill.

Or the dreadmill as some call it.

I, however, don't mind the treadmill. It pushes me and I can often push myself even more. And, for my silly brain, it's fun to play games on it...

Start at 6.0 for 1/2 mile. Bump it to 6.2 for 1/2 mile. Down to 6.1 for 1/2 mile. Up to 6.3 for 1/2 mile. I continue that pattern until I get to the last mile and bump it .2 ever quarter mile, or 10th or whatever seems nice and challenging at the time.

Or, I'll keep it steady at one pace for the first mile and bump it up .2 every 1/2 and NOT go back down.

Or, there's running at an easy pace for 3/4 mile, bump it up in pace and incline every .05 from there until I hit the mile marker. Then, back it down only to repeat at 3/4 mile in.

Yesterday, I let my songs dictate my speed. Of course, as I got toward the end, I found one song that really kicked it up and let that one play for oh, 4 times in a row :)

I've had fun on my treadmill this week and I have to say it feels good to feel my mojo coming back. I look forward to each run and so enjoy knowing I worked my tail off.

Looking forward to tomorrow and running with a sweet friend!

How's your week going?

10 comments:

A Prelude To... said...

I feel like my speed workouts are better on the treadmill, too, so that is where I usually do shorter speed work runs. I am going to try to hit the group track workouts this year, though, so I'll see how they compare.

Music can make ALL the difference :-)

Anonymous said...

The good thing about the treadmill is how you can totally control your speed. That's what I love about it. I am trying to do about 2 treadmill workouts a week because I can really watch my speed and push myself near the end.

Julie D. said...

I love playing games on the treadmill!!! I always push harder on my treadmill runs.

kimert said...

I play that same game on the treadmill! It is the only way I am able to get through most of my treadmill runs.
I also have one song that gets me going faster and will play it over and over to get me through tough runs.
have a great weekend!

Eryn said...

I am practically begging the hubby to let me get the 24 hour fitness membership at costco...2 years for 299, so I can get some running in!!

these dark days and his night school schedule are NOT working for me :)

Kerrie said...

I was just saying how great it would be to have a 'mill in our house today since the kiddo is sick and I can't take him to gym day care. We've got one coming, but it's 2-3 weeks away!

But I, too, play 'mill games when I go during the week. Especially since it's 4:30 a.m. and nothing's on TV except SportsCenter (and I can't stand one of the SC dudes -- he seems so smug although I've never actually listened to him; just watched him). Anyway, I listen to my music and watch SC, and I kick the 'mill up and down...beep, beep beep beep. I probably drive the 2 other people (well, 10 right now 'cause it's January) in there crazy.

BrianFlash said...

I definitely think part of surviving on a treadmill is varying the pace and incline. I haven't been doing enough of either and I need to get busy because its cold out there!

H Love said...

I am loving the mill as well...this week I saw a fleeting 7:18 pace just for a moment at the end and it was AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I need to start playing some treadmill games... I think I'm the most boring runner ever... same speed, same incline, and just go... this kind of thing would do way more for my body, I think!

Tortuga_Runner said...

I wish I had a treadmill:( Running is not going great, but I did get 2 self defense classes in this week. I have a 10K Sunday, so I have to get in a couple miles tomorrow to shake my legs out.

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...