Boo-yah!!!
Of course, who knows if I'm actually using the term correctly. But, hey, it sounds good!
Boo-yah!!
Date with the track this morning? Check!!
7 miles? 1 mile warm up? 5 miles at tempo? 1 mile cool down? Check!!
And what is a tempo run??
"Run easy for one mile to warm up. Then dial into the given pace. Run easy for a mile to cool down. Tempos should feel challenging; on a scale of 1 to 10, your effort will feel like an 8. You should be able to utter just a few words at a time. These runs will train your body to sustain speed over distance." Runners World. Dimity's Break 2:00 or Bust! training plan. August 2010.
My run? What did it look like? Well, if you want a reminder of last weeks, go here... Not so consistent. This week????
Mile 1: 9:15
Mile 2: 8:22
Mile 3: 8:17
Mile 4: 8:15
Mile 5: 8:20
Mile 6: 8:13 (I couldn't stop myself from giving a little push at the end)
Mile 7: 8:54
Holy cow! That's about as consistent as I've ever been and I'm stinkin' excited! Can you tell?
As I ran, I started getting a little excited. Oh, how I wish someone could just look at my times and say, "This is what you are capable of. This is what you can run a half in _____" I know what I think I'm capable of, but I just don't know what I am truly capable of.
As I get closer to my next half, I have 3 options...
A. Go conservative. I know that my body is very capable of running 9:16 miles for 13.1. That would give me a finish of 2:00. A little push at the end and I would finish under 2:00. But, I don't believe that that would be me giving my all and leaving it all out there...
B. Less conservative. 9 minute miles. 1:57 finish. Still, my body is showing me it can do more than that...
C. And even less. 8:51/8:52 miles. 1:56 finish. Again, I think this is very doable. Again, I just wish someone would say, "you've totally got that!"
I so worry about going out too fast. About depleting myself and having nothing left to give. Do I go conservative just so I can show my mind that I CAN get under 2:00? Or, do I leave it all out there in hopes that I won't deplete myself too soon and REALLY show my mind what my body can do??
As I finished my run today I got so excited. Excited because the 5 miles I ran at tempo pace felt amazing. I was definitely not at an 8 on a scale of 1-10. But, how long can I keep that pace??
And yes, I couldn't help but think, man, if I could only keep that pace for the whole thing. I could get 1:51.
Sitting here daydreaming...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What A Difference The Hills Make
Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them. I seek them o...
-
I'll share more later, but, for now, I'm going to keep it short and sweet... 3:15 a.m. came early A smoothie consi...
-
I was recently contacted by CSN stores to host a giveaway on my blog. What fun! CSN has over 200 stores with some super fun stuff... you ca...
-
It's one of those days. One in which I fought with my daughter over her desire to not get out of her warm jammies so that she could get ...
3 comments:
whoohooooo awesome job!
Way to go!! I have never done tempo runs, I will have to give that a whirl training for my next race. What about if you did negative splits? Ran conservative the first half and slowly got faster the last half? I don't know just an idea.
To tell you the truth, I just run. It seems like my best times are when I dont look at my watch. Now Chicago will be interesting since they have big clocks posting the times every few miles. I think for me I will just RUN!!! We will see if I can achieve my goal!! Yeah, I am not sure about the negative split thing either, all I run with is a stop watch function on my MP3 player, so I would have to be doing some crazy math too.
Post a Comment