Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pete and Repeat

I didn't sleep very well last night. Tossing. Turning. Not feeling great and filled the anticipation of my workout for this morning. Honestly, I was excited!

The alarm went off. I hopped out of bed. Turned the coffee pot on. Got my favorite running clothes on and enjoyed my favorite pre-run breakfast. Coffee and Clif bar, oh how I LOVE you! Since I can no longer enjoy donuts, Clif bars are the next best thing. Of course, ask anyone who CAN have donuts and I'm sure they would be quick to disagree :)

This morning I headed to the school track for mile repeats. I had no idea what to expect since my memories of the track involve a few run intervals when I started running back in January and if you go way back, memories of having to run the mile in PE in middle school... for which my fastest mile then was 8:00 and that was a push!

I thought I'd take a pre-repeat picture. I was completely expecting and looking forward to feeling like crap at the end, so I thought I would fully document it. Sick. I know.

Don't I look happy, excited, oh and yes, the eyes look a little tired.

I did the required warm up mile: 9:23. I was a horse rearing to go. Reminding myself to slow down. Slow down. Slow down!

Then, I was there. What would I do? What could I do? Could I get the prescribed 8:20? 3 times in a row?? Do I even have what it takes??? Yes. Self doubt has become a friend of mine in the last week or so.

On your mark.

Get set.

GO!

Running. Pushing. Finding it actually a bit comfortable at first. I found that if anything, the track keeps my pace quite consistent.

1 lap.

2 laps.

3 laps.

4. Pushing. Not allowing myself to give up. Breathing hard. My watch beeped. Holy crap!!

7:06!!!

Catch my breath for a 1/2 mile.

Time for mile 2.

Knowing 8:20's were recommended. Not really sure if it was dumb to go all out on the 1st mile. Feeling completely clueless. Slowing myself down a tad.

7:32!!!

Are. You. Kidding. Me.

Only 1 more. I can do this. Still feeling great. Definitely getting winded.

I hit that last mile. Pushing through lap 1. Counting down. I can do this. Constantly telling myself, "I can do this!" "Don't give up!" "You've got this!"

Lap 2 done.

Lap 3.

Then, I saw my pace. Starting to creep. 7:18. 7:19. 7:20. NO!!! Do. Not. Give. Up. Now!!! Pushing through. My watch beeped...

7:13!!!

All I could do was thank the Lord as I finished with my cool down mile. And, funny thing, I had NO problem taking that one slow! Finishing with a 10:01 mile.

What I loved about my workout this morning was the consistency of my pace. The scenery never got boring since I started in pitch dark and got to watch as the fog in the trees created shadows. As the sky lit up with speckled red and pink clouds. As the fog rolled in and out. Making one end of the track invisible at times. There were some walkers and runners. All friendly. All enjoying the morning. It was peaceful. Refreshing. Encouraging.

Giddy with excitement. A lump in my throat. I couldn't wait to share the news with Cory. Those were my fastest miles EVER. Ever. And, I beat my oldest son's mile time by a whole minute.

I can do this.

And then, as if the morning hadn't been wonderful enough, my oldest told me to grab the camera and come take a picture. This is what we saw...

God is so stinkin' cool!! What a beautiful gift of a morning!

5 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Excellent work! You can totally do it! Love the gorgeous pic too!

Eryn said...

Oh my word. I love that your cool down mile is what I'd consider a pretty decent mile for myself :)

You. Are. A . ROCKSTAR! Nice work. You even make me want to try a track workout!

Amy said...

SO proud of you! That is awesome! You got your sub 2 half in the bag!

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

Congrats on those awesome awesome miles!!! Thanks for the sweet comment you left on RLAM :)

Casey said...

awesome pace, lady! way to go!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...