Monday, September 13, 2010

Not Your Mama's Jazzercise


I glanced at the clock this morning.

9:50

10 more minutes!

My heart was pounding.

Sweat was pouring.

Holy cow!

I'm not talking about running here.

And yes.

I realize this is a running blog.

But, when I'm not running, I'm Jazzercising.

Yes.

Jazzercising.

And, this morning, it KICKED my tail!

I wasn't able to go to class all of August between having my brother's family here and life, it just wasn't possible. And after taking a month off, I could absolutely tell a difference in my body.

My core has become squishy.

My biceps and shoulders that I was so excited to see? Yeah. Not as visible.

And let's not talk about the little badonkadonk I got going on.

My weight hasn't changed. But, my body sure has!

I finally got back to class last week and when I told my friend that I was so out of shape, she rolled her eyes at me.

The truth is, I am TOTALLY out of shape. Sure, my lungs are great. My legs? Just fine. The rest of me has been neglected.

Before I started running in January I attended Jazzercise 3 days a week. When I first started, it helped me to lose some of the 20 pounds I had packed on. Some. However, only being able to go 3 days a week did not really do much for the last 10 pounds.

Then, running entered my life. The 10 pounds dropped and then a few more. I had found the perfect combination for my body. Jazzercise + Running = A healthy AND happy girl!

My instructor is amazing. She encourages us to push our bodies... to squat a little lower, hold our core a little tighter, strong arms, strong back. I leave there knowing that I worked as hard as I could and my muscles will probably let me know by the next day.

When I tell friends that I Jazzercise, I get a little look. Really? Do they wear leg warmers and leotards? I'm sure that what they picture is a look from the 80's. But, no. There are no leg warmers (but aren't those coming back?) and no one walks around in a leotard going up their rear. I promise :)

What I do know, is that I get to hear some great music. I get to visit with some great women. I sweat my rear off and my muscles start to appear. I feel stronger. Which makes me feel better when I run. Which makes me run faster. What a wonderful combination.

Regardless of what you do, I am such an advocate for making sure to get some other workout in other than running. I love running. I do. But, I need the strength too.

I'm counting down to my last race of the season. Only 5 more weeks. My schedule is written out. 3 days of Jazzercise. 3-4 days of running. 1 day of rest a week. Making my body as healthy as can be. Doing what I can and hoping that when I cross that finish line I will see 1:59:00 (or do I even dare say 1:56?)

3 comments:

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

i did jazzercise... once... half heartedly... lol... im thinking about getting yoga, pilates, and jazzercize dvds for the fun of it this winter lol...

Eryn said...

Love it! I just got myself a Turbo Jam dvd to start up on my off days of running, hoping to see some more changes around here...especially in mid section :)

Amy said...

Love it! I get the same looks when I tell them I Jazzercise!

BTW, 5 weeks - EEEK!!!!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...