And no, I don't mean in the "stupid is as stupid does" kind of way!
Well, maybe. Some might feel that way...
I was chatting with a friend last week who asked when we could run together. She is gearing up for a 1/2 marathon and I figured it would be better for her if we ran together after her half (I wouldn't want to hurt her training!) She said she would be running 11 or 12 on Saturday and said, "you could join me for part of it!" I quickly said okay and figured out the when and where.
Then, I thought about it.
That was a little stupid on my part.
I'm a pusher when it comes to running. I knew I wouldn't be able to turn around while she kept going. I knew that my planned 8 miles might end up being 11 or 12. Honestly, that scared me a bit...
I met someone recently who said they didn't like to challenge themselves when running. I could not comprehend. I figure if I'm running, I might as well challenge myself. After all, wouldn't Bob and Jillian from the Biggest Loser say, "It's not going to kill you!" And. It won't.
Saturday morning came. With a couple of butterflies flying in my tummy, I headed out to meet my friend. The 4 mile mark came. And went. I would just go to the next light. Then the next. And since we're almost there, why not the next?
Yes.
I ran 12 miles.
In 1 hour and 58 minutes.
And I felt great.
Sure. I was a little numb around miles 9 and 10.
Yes. Those miles were slow.
But, we did not walk.
And I just kept telling myself that I was running farther than I ever had.
It felt amazing.
I can't wait to do it again!
And like Forrest, I just feel like running.
I love that God made us so that we can.
I have 2 legs. I am not in a wheelchair. I am not sick.
There is no reason for me not to run. So, I run because I can!
I'm curious how far my body can go.
To be honest, I'm now setting my sights on a marathon.
I think it would be amazing. To push myself. To challenge myself. Because I can!
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What A Difference The Hills Make
Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them. I seek them o...
-
I'll share more later, but, for now, I'm going to keep it short and sweet... 3:15 a.m. came early A smoothie consi...
-
I was recently contacted by CSN stores to host a giveaway on my blog. What fun! CSN has over 200 stores with some super fun stuff... you ca...
-
It's one of those days. One in which I fought with my daughter over her desire to not get out of her warm jammies so that she could get ...
1 comment:
I truly believe that if God gives us the capability to run - we should. It's one of my ways of honoring him for giving me the body he has!!! Loved this first post :)
Post a Comment