I had 10 to do today. Just 10. Truly, after 12 felt so great last time (minus crashing after) I thought 10 would be just fine. No problem...
Ouch!
I started armed and ready to go. I-pod positioned just right on my arm so as to not cause more sores? Check!! Hydration pack filled with H2O, hammer gel, my phone and i.d.? Check!! Garmin? Check!!
Then I started running. It felt a little awkward having my water on my backside. I had to push that thing down on my hips throughout my run. Bit annoying, but figured it was better to have water and be slightly annoyed that no water and completely dehydrated.
Besides the pack, I just felt off. I could not get my groove. I kept trying, but just could not find it. I tried looking around, soaking in the scenery, the beautiful fields filled with cows, Mt. Hood in the background, trying to enjoy my therapy... then came the smell of not so sweet cow manure, and bugs in my face. But, I was running, I tried to focus on the positive.
By mile 5, I was thrilled to be able to turn around. I was digging in and pushing hard. I took hammer gel around 5.5 and forced myself to swallow. Not so refreshing on a hot run! I pushed. I plodded. Several times I thought about walking.
With 2 miles left, I really wanted to pick it up. I tried. And I couldn't. I could not make my legs go any faster. It was as if someone had poured sand in my legs. They would not listen. They would not move.
I hit 10 and walked it out. And, Oh. My. Word!! My brain was working overtime to make my legs work!!
As I was stretching, I was telling my friend my times. She asked if I was disappointed... nope. Just happy to have gotten through!
I'm slightly terrified about next week. Worried about the hills. Worried that I will not be able to do it. All this time, I've known that I could. Never had a doubt. Now, I'm doubting. I'm wondering if others have felt the same...
Here are my times for today...
9:01
9:29
9:37
9:37
9:34
9:52
9:49
9:59
10:15
10:16
On the bright side, I did not feel like curling up in a ball when I got home. This, I will celebrate! And, truly, I am so thankful to have been able to run 10 today. Truly. It was just a bit daunting knowing that I've got some serious hills to contend with next weekend when I race my first half!
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What A Difference The Hills Make
Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them. I seek them o...
-
I'll share more later, but, for now, I'm going to keep it short and sweet... 3:15 a.m. came early A smoothie consi...
-
I was recently contacted by CSN stores to host a giveaway on my blog. What fun! CSN has over 200 stores with some super fun stuff... you ca...
-
It's one of those days. One in which I fought with my daughter over her desire to not get out of her warm jammies so that she could get ...
1 comment:
thats awesome, mere. and no, you are not alone...i will call you soon and tell you about my run. oh, not good. not good at all.
Post a Comment