Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Minefield



We heard this song the other day as we headed to our friend's house for dinner. Tears sprang to my eyes as I grabbed my hubby's hand.

I was 16 when we started dating. 21 when we got married. And, I can tell you right now, there were many times that first year of marriage when I would be sitting in our tiny bathroom with my friend, Amy. Telling her that if I had known that THIS was what marriage was like, I wouldn't have done it.

Truthfully.

Our first year was, quite simply, a minefield.

And the years that followed?

Minefields and storms.

Thankfully, I have grown up a bit. Thankfully, so has my husband. Thankfully, we are both in this for the long haul. After all, we promised.

Running has been such a blessing in my life. I have found me again. Rather, I have found a me I never knew existed.

However.

Running can also be a curse. Running can be, in my opinion, a very selfish sport.

Up until a couple years ago, I was strictly the giver in the relationship. I felt guilty to even ask for a night out. It wasn't that Cory wouldn't give. It's that I wouldn't take. Now, I'm the taker.

And, as gracious as my husband can be, I need to remember to take a step back every once in awhile. To bite my tongue when I want to talk about running all the time. To make sure that even as I take, that I give too. That I remember to nurture our relationship.

Because, if I'm not careful, we can be sailing smoothly. Trekking along just fine. And out of nowhere, that minefield will strike.

As I watched the video the first time the part that I loved the most was watching the older couples dancing. Marriage is not easy. It is a dance... through minefields, storms, and hopefully flower filled fields too!

Remember to tell your love you love them. Remember to nurture and give. Remember that it's not always easy. But, as Andrew Peterson says, "that's what the promise was for."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Marriage is not easy." I agree! I wouldn't say that marriage is not easy... in my situation, I'm married to TWO people - my husband AND the army and that is the hard part always knowing that the army comes first.

Amy said...

Thanks for a good cry! My favorite part is the old couples dancing too - that's when the tears that were welling, spilled over :-)

I totally remember your tiny place in married housing at our college and that tiny bathroom - me sitting on the toilet lid, you on the edge of the bathtub. I remember once, you telling Cory to just get out of your way and he threw his hands up and said, "where am I supposed to go?" Good times. You two have come such a long way. Love you guys

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

thanks for the reminder. no talk of running coming from me today at the dinner table =)

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...