Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Then

Taking a little detour from running talk today.

Instead, taking a little journey.

Almost 17 years ago.

To a night when my heart fluttered and I wondered if the boy I sat next to in the car would stop me before I got out of the car. Wondering if we would talk about the fact that we were holding hands. Deciding that unless we talked about it THAT night, I could no longer hold my best friend's hand. We were best friends, after all. Right? My heart that fluttered. My stomach that turned. I was beyond confused.

I reached for the door and he said, "wait."

We talked. He asked me to be his girlfriend. We kissed. I was 16.

Then.

Have you heard the song by Brad Paisley?

"And now your my whole life.
Now your my whole world.
I just can't believe the way I feel about you girl.
Like a river meets the sea,
Stronger than it's ever been.
We've come so far from that day,
and I thought I loved you then"

This song reminds me of our journey. 4 1/2 years dating. 12 years of marriage. 4 babies together. 1 adopted nephew. Sickness. Health. Death. Miracles. Love. Life.

My heart swells, really, if I think about it. I truly love him more every day. (Well, almost! Of course there are bad days. We are not perfect.) I am so thankful for him. For his love. For his support.

As I came walking up the driveway on Saturday after my 13.1 he was working in the yard and asked me how it went. I showed him my watch and he said, "good job!" He was excited for me. In his words, he knew I could do it. Everyone knew I could do it. I just needed to know I could do it.

And although he's not a runner. And although training schedules make no sense to him and if I say, "I'm only running 3 times next week. 3, 5 and 3." it makes no sense to him because that's still 11 miles before the half. He still tries to support me. He is gracious... he is letting me run my very first marathon on his day - Father's Day. He knows that running is important to me. And for that, I am so thankful.

I can only imagine where our love will be in another 17 years. When I'm sure I'll look back and say, "and I thought I loved you then!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK< this made me cry... particularly the beginning... Congrats on so many happy years!

Julie D. said...

you guys are an amazing couple!! loved the pictures.

Zoƫ said...

Very sweet post! What a fabulous journey you've had so far...and here's to many many more years!

Christa said...

Very nice post!! It is always neat seeing where we all 'came from' Congrats on your many years together, and wish you such happiness for the future!!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I didn't read this until today. This made me cry. For myself. Parts of my life that I don't share in bloggy land make me envious of...this. You have a truly special gift in your life. I am sure that you do already but treasure it.

Okay enough selfish talk. You two are adorable. I love the then pictures! And your post is beautifully written. thanks for sharing it with me!

Anonymous said...

I love you guys!

I have loved watching you grow up together.

You have a beautiful thing that only God could have ordained.

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...