Monday, October 18, 2010

The Race That Started It All

As I've said before, the Girlfriend's 1/2 Marathon and my girlfriends who ran it last year, is why I started running in the 1st place.

I had never really been into running.

I dabbled a bit in college, but that was mostly just to get some time in my own head and for fitness. There definitely was no love there.

I dabbled a bit after the birth of babes 2 and 3, but really, I would go out too hard... trying to run 30 minutes at a time straight out of the chute. Yeah. Doesn't work so well for me and I often ended up with shin splints and muscles so sore that I surely didn't want to go back again.

Time was not on my side between babies not sleeping and having to get up super early (in my book) to get older babes out the door to school.

I, quite simply, did not enjoy running. I was not a runner.

Enter inspiration.

I started researching Couch to 5K after the first of the year. I had gotten an Ipod for Christmas and started by downloading Robert Ullrey's free podcasts. I was blessed to be able to run on a friends treadmill during the week and headed to the track on the weekends.

I was hooked.

Something about the achievement of the run sucked me in. The quiet and peace of the track gave me time with God with no one screaming, crying or whining.

Superbowl Sunday, the girls in our homegroup decided to go on a 4 mile run. Two of us, myself included, did not think we could do the whole 4. Other than walking about 100 yards, we did. The next weekend I went for 4 again and was blown away that I ran it all! Another weekend at 4, then I bumped it to 6. The rest is history.

To celebrate the race, we had dinner at our house on Saturday night. Only a few could come, but it was such a blessing. My angel and her husband were here. As well as my dear friends Eryn, Tamera, and, of course, Amy.


We carbed it up. Took some pictures and all headed home so we could get some good sleep.

Amy and I got up nice and early. I slathered a little PB and honey on some gluten free toast (Yum!). Drank a little joe. And we were off.


It was cold!

Thankfully, Krista at Always A Reason to Run, had given this little tutorial and I decided to give it a go. Kept me nice and toasty and I didn't have to spend any money! Thanks Krista!!

As the race started, I just kept reminding myself to trust my training. To start slow. To allow my body to warm up. To not waste all the gas right at the beginning. As people passed me, I trusted my watch. Keep it slow. Keep it slow.

Mile 2 and my knee hurt a bit. Focusing on my form. Focus. It was fine.

Holy cow! It was beautiful!! We hit the waterfront and I could not help but smile. God is so good. The steam coming off the river. The sun shining. The leaves orange and red. A beautiful fall morning. A beautiful run.

I'm not kidding when I say that a smile was plastered on my face for the first 9 miles. Plastered. I loved seeing my family. I loved seeing friends cheering along the course. I loved the beauty of the day. I loved running with all these women. On the 1st out and back I could not help myself from cheering for the first woman and the 2nd and the 3rd and the... you get the picture. I cheered them all on. Those faster and those slower. I was floating.

My sweet friend, Ashley, let me borrow her Ipod for the run just so I could listen to her playlist. Loving the beats. Laughing at some of the songs. Around mile 5, one made me cry. Dog Days Are Over by Florence and The Machine...

"Run fast for your mother. Run fast for your father. Run for your children and your sisters and your brother..."

I could not hold back the tears as I said a prayer for my brother. Got a smile on my face. And gave my back a little pat. This was on my back.

When my watch beep at mile 7 I was shocked to already be there. I still felt great. Still smiling. Really? Already 7?

The night before I had printed 2 pace bands out. One for a 2:00 half. One for a 1:50 half. I knew I wanted to be somewhere in between. So, as the miles ticked by, I would check my times. Okay, 3 minutes behind. 4 minutes ahead. I've got this!

Mile 9 the smile started fading and I had to start focusing. Mile 10 and I saw friends and family for the last time before the finish. Up a good sized hill. Mile 11 and I was losing steam and having a little talk with myself.

"Less time than taking your kids to the bathroom at Target."

"Less time than it takes to take a shower."

"Less time than it takes to feed the chickens and collect eggs."

"You've got this!"

"Pick it up!"

There were some good hills the last 2 miles and I was finally able to pick it up with about a 1/4 to go. But, those last 2 miles really killed my time.

But, as I rounded the corner and saw the clock I could not help but smile. 1:56:48 is what I saw! No 2 something. 1. 56. Something!! I did it!

My friend Jill snapped this shot before the final turn. The rays of sun shining down reminded me that God was there the whole time. And, at the end, He was giving me my final push.

I loved having Cory and the kids there. Brenton said I was super fast and when I asked Caden what he thought about it he said, "Amazing!" I think there may just be a runner in him!

As I started to hand my stuff to my kids so I could run with Amy for the last few blocks, I looked up and saw her just as she crossed the finish line! She did AWESOME!!! 2:05:38!! I was so proud of her!

Eryn and her BRB (best running buddy) were next coming in at 2:14:50! So stinkin' proud of her! Gave her a big sweaty "mere-hug" as Amy calls them and waited for Heidi.

Heidi started running because of this race as well. She wanted to push herself. She let it be known that she had no interest in running partners. This was for her. Then, one day, she wrote this on my facebook wall...

"You'll be happy to know that I was longing for some conversation while I ran my 8 miles yesterday. :-) I'm way slower than you (way, way, way slower) but I'll be running 9 next Sunday morning if you want to join."

Um. Okay!!

It never did work out because of husbands out of town and conflicting schedules but it meant so much to me to be asked. And Heidi, we will run together!

Heidi inspires me as she pushes herself. She and I think very differently. She is deep. I am simple. But, I love her to pieces and she is a deep breath to me. I went to find her and run the final blocks with her. When I saw her I couldn't helped but get a little teary as she was SO strong! She told me she'd ran the whole thing and was averaging 11 minute miles. I was SO proud. Heart overflowing.

We rounded the corner, climbed the little hill and she kicked some serious asphalt! Check those smiles...

Amy's mom's best friend was there to cheer her on and after the race she treated us to lunch at Beaches. It was so fun walking in and seeing our names up on the board!

We enjoyed some yummy lunch, snapped a few pictures, and as I headed to the bathroom, I was overjoyed to see sweet Heidi! One more picture taken...

I was talking to Mandi as I drove home and when I pulled into my driveway I couldn't help but exclaim, "I can't believe this is my life. I am so blessed!"

The trees. The sun. The amazing morning. My family. My friends. Overwhelmed with God's goodness, tears flowed again.

I'm so thankful for all my blessings. Thankful to wrap up this years season of running with a race that will forever be close to my heart. Looking forward to next year and the races I'll run.

Thank you Lord!

11 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Congrats on an awesome race. It sounds like you all had a blast! It made me want to race with you!

Raegun said...

What an incredible story!

Julie D. said...

love it mere. great race!! call you soon...

kimert said...

What an awesome race!

Eryn said...

It was so much fun, and the sweaty Mere hug was the best!

H Love said...

awesome! I love the shot with the sun on you! God's presence really is everywhere. I really want to do this race next year!! Will you do it again?? Thanks for sharing!! P.S. GO SPEEDY!!

Anonymous said...

great pics :)

Jennifer said...

You are such an inspiration Meredith! You are so wonderful at appreciating the important things in life and helping others to do the same. Im so proud of you!

Kelli said...

OK...so I'm a little late to this experience for you but I am a little teary...HOW AMAZING HE IS!!!! I'm so proud of you and Amy and I love the friendship that you share. What an accomplishment...what a story. You ARE blessed. HUGS!

Anonymous said...

I love your race recap! I just ran my first marathon on sunday so I can totally relate! Congrats on your PR!

Middle Name Marie said...

I am so glad you got to try the FLEEVES. I love the pattern on your FLEEVES--so fun!

Congrats!

What A Difference The Hills Make

Hills. You either love them or hate them. Welcome them or dread them. Embrace or avoid them. Sometimes, I crave them.  I seek them o...